Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: playing against the \"I\'ve got aces\" reraise with a medium/small pa

It makes no difference.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: playing against the \"I\'ve got aces\" reraise with a medium/small pa

[ QUOTE ]
Well you just were on about the early rounds. Stop raising 88 in mid position in the early rounds, then you won't get in this situation. It's hardly rocket science is it!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing the point of the post. The point is that I have implied odds to call anyway.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:02 PM

I'm just not going to bother replying on this thread anymore, seeing as your mind is made up about how to play it anyway.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:04 PM

Maybe if you explained WHY it's bad I would listen instead of just saying "it's bad, you're an idiot"

I remember now why I stopped coming to these forums several months ago...does everyone have a frickin attitude like this?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well you just were on about the early rounds. Stop raising 88 in mid position in the early rounds, then you won't get in this situation. It's hardly rocket science is it!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing the point of the post. The point is that I have implied odds to call anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the 109s and up its necessary to make those kinds of raises, especially on stars where the stacks are deeper. if you have 1500, call that 140 reraise, you have excellent odds, and if you set up you bust him. i call if theres someone else in too, and if its heads up.. i prolly call anyway. if the rr is much more than 140 though, its probably not worth it. and for the record, i dont think its as bad as everyone is making it out to be raising with 88 in mp. holla
Old 11-15-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in the 109s and up its necessary to make those kinds of raises, especially on stars where the stacks are deeper. if you have 1500, call that 140 reraise, you have excellent odds, and if you set up you bust him. i call if theres someone else in too, and if its heads up.. i prolly call anyway. if the rr is much more than 140 though, its probably not worth it. and for the record, i dont think its as bad as everyone is making it out to be raising with 88 in mp. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, that is my point of view exactly. I feel as though everyone plays these pairs way too weakly. You limp, couple other limps, you flop your set and you make nothing. You limp, somebody puts in a big raise behind and you fold. I think this is wrong. You play it strong, build up the pot, and make them call a big "continuation" bet after you hit your set. if you don't hit the set, be done with it. I agree that any more than 140 I don't call.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel as though everyone plays these pairs way too weakly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever everyone on this board does something, take note.

[ QUOTE ]
You limp, couple other limps, you flop your set and you make nothing. You limp, somebody puts in a big raise behind and you fold. I think this is wrong. You play it strong, build up the pot, and make them call a big "continuation" bet after you hit your set. if you don't hit the set, be done with it. I agree that any more than 140 I don't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I think you're saying: raise in MP with a small PP. If you make a set, c-bet. If you don't, you can get away.

The problems I see with this: when you raise with a PP, you dilute your pot-odds for hitting a set because you get less callers. Also, when you hit and make a c-bet, you'll get a lot of folds because you'll be representing TPTK or an overpair. You're (usually) risking 3 BB.

When you limp, you drag more limpers with you and increase your pot-odds of hitting the set. When you hit, your hand is well disguised. Many limpers will stay in the pot with 2nd pair or an inside straight draw (assuming a low buy-in) even if you've become aggressive. You're (often) risking 1 BB.

My default action when folded to in MP with a PP is to limp and call any reasonable raise.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Re: playing against the \"I\'ve got aces\" reraise with a medium/small pair

I don't think that raptor is saying that it is WRONG to not raise with a middle pair. I think that he's saying that it's NOT wront to raise with a middle pair. I agree that's it's fine to raise with every hand when you're the first to enter for deceptive reasons. If this wasn't the case I think it is correct to limp from middle position since they're difficult to play out of position on the flop if you miss your set. If you're in late position, I think raising is correct.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problems I see with this: when you raise with a PP, you dilute your pot-odds for hitting a set because you get less callers. Also, when you hit and make a c-bet, you'll get a lot of folds because you'll be representing TPTK or an overpair. You're (usually) risking 3 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but people see me as a loose-aggro player making a continuation bet with possibly nothing. People don't get me enough credit because I frequently am raising/betting. You'd be surprised how many time people bluff raise with overcards after my "c-bet" and are now drawing dead.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:41 PM

Oh, okay then. You're right. Go about your business.