Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2005, 04:25 AM

Default 6 max or shorter games (2-3) more difficult?

I wanted to get peoples opinions on this.

I went from playing 6 max tables at party poker and prima and started playing even shorter tables. Mostly heads up cash games on other sites. There are not many players on these sites and I am mostly the first to sit at a table.

I've found that I went from winning to perhaps a losing game. (its way too early to tell for sure). My logic is the following:

1. The ones that stick around to play for a long period of time heads up are usually better than your average player.

2. You are only playing against one person, it's not like there are 4 decent players and 1 poor player that everyone gets chips from.

3. Heads up is a different game. You have to vary your play more. Preflop play is different.

4. Skill comes into play faster. You can adjust faster to your opponents game.

5. If your winning you will win faster, and if your playing a losing game you will lose faster.

5. You can't nut peddle they won't call because they are paying attention to your play more heads up.

Any ideas about this? Of course party poker is party poker and the games tend to be softer there than other places.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:37 AM

Default Re: 6 max or shorter games (2-3) more difficult?

You have to adjust your play a lot for heads up and 3 handed. Agression and reading your opponent come into play a lot more, also try and mix your play up as much as possible. A couple things I have found is that at the lower levels be prepared for a lot of hitting and running which can be frustrating but overall not brutal to your win rate (most of these donks will end up loosing to you), there are also plenty of fish at these levels. Overall if you adjust your game you should be able to do quite well and sustain a fairly high win rate.