Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Transit Strike- getting home is the hard part

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

too bad new yorkers can't be chummy and resourceful unless something crappy is happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are we basing this wonderful assertion on? you live in nyc and think everyone sucks except for when there's a crisis?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i should have been more specific.

i'm referring more to the upper-class, native new yorkers. i've never met a single one of them that i haven't wanted to smash his/her head into a parking meter. average new yorkers and transplants from other areas of the country currently residing in new york i'm cool with. in fact, a lot of my good friends and family live in nyc. so, it's really a small subset of new yorkers that I dislike. unfortunately, they are the majority of the new yorkers i've had contact with in my life up to this point.

edit: also, as a red sox fan, in a [censored] mood today regarding nyc because of the whole johnny damon thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're obviously an anti-semite

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny Damon is Jewish?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For once I'm happy I live in New Jersey now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought I would see these words in the same sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not this? "I'm happy New Jersey is on the other side of the Hudson"
Old 12-21-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cab drivers that do that are just greedy and want more money. If there was no strike, they'd welcome you in with open arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cars must have 4 passengers to go south of 96th by law because of the strike. Greed has nothing to do with refusing, the cabbie wants to take you and get the fare.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cab drivers that do that are just greedy and want more money. If there was no strike, they'd welcome you in with open arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cars must have 4 passengers to go south of 96th by law because of the strike. Greed has nothing to do with refusing, the cabbie wants to take you and get the fare.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he's already south of 96th since he's at 34th and 6th, unless there's another Herald Square. The problem would be on the "north of" whatever the lower bound is (if there is one) when he's returning, but by that point all 4 passengers would already be out. If there is another checkpoint lower then that would be an issue too, and I'm dead wrong.

I don't think it's greed either, but not because of that law.

~D
Old 12-21-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I've figured out how to get to work. Does anyone have a good way to get back to Brooklyn?

[/ QUOTE ]

My firm is bussing us back and forth like migrant workers...pretty nice, but LONNGGGG days. Not complaining though.

Where in BK?

[/ QUOTE ]

You work for GS?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, lots of places are doing this though. I work at a law firm.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he's already south of 96th since he's at 34th and 6th, unless there's another Herald Square.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only 1 Herald Square, but he got a ride there with only 3 total passengers, which jibes with what we think. I think the quote about needing 4 passengers in regard to getting a ride to downtown is a different trip from north of 96th or from one of the outer boroughs.

Sorry we've totally hijacked your thread Paluka. I'm going home on the PATH, hahahahahahahahahaha [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he's already south of 96th since he's at 34th and 6th, unless there's another Herald Square.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only 1 Herald Square, but he got a ride there with only 3 total passengers, which jibes with what we think. I think the quote about needing 4 passengers in regard to getting a ride to downtown is a different trip from north of 96th or from one of the outer boroughs.

Sorry we've totally hijacked your thread Paluka. I'm going home on the PATH, hahahahahahahahahaha [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he wasn't crossing the border... so the argument for 4 doesn't work.

I have a feeling the cabbie wanted him to go with 3 other people so the cabbie could maximize the trip to Wall Street from 96th street. At least that's what I thought.

The same thing happened to me yesterday morning as I tried to get a cab from E 95th street. Cabs told me that it was way too far. I think cabs are looking for short fares (20-30 blocks) where they can charge $10-15 a head, and jack up revenues.

If you were a cabbie, would you rather spend 40 minutes driving 1-2 people from 95th to Wall for $20 a head, or drive 7-8 people 20 blocks for $10 a head?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:37 PM

alot of the wall street firms/insurance companys are doing this. ALmost anyone downtown.
I work for a hedge and they all live in manhattan , bastards...I keep getting the "glad you could make it in" looks BAH!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The same thing happened to me yesterday morning as I tried to get a cab from E 95th street. Cabs told me that it was way too far. I think cabs are looking for short fares (20-30 blocks) where they can charge $10-15 a head, and jack up revenues.

If you were a cabbie, would you rather spend 40 minutes driving 1-2 people from 95th to Wall for $20 a head, or drive 7-8 people 20 blocks for $10 a head?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess they are doing that then. Sucks for us riders. Too bad the city restricts the number of cabs, because right now the demand is way outstripping the supply.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
alot of the wall street firms/insurance companys are doing this. ALmost anyone downtown.
I work for a hedge and they all live in manhattan , bastards...I keep getting the "glad you could make it in" looks BAH!

[/ QUOTE ]

Way easier for non-manhattanites to get in. Honestly the people who are most affected (besides outer borough region) are the UESers and UWSers.