Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 02:09 AM

Default $2/$5 NL Live hand

$2/$5 NL Live at WinStar in Oklahoma.
The table is pretty passive as it always seems to be there. Not alot of big hands.

2 limpers to me and I check in the BB with J9 of spades.

Pot is $15. Flop comes J57 with 2 spades. I lead for $15 and get called by the button. Hes pretty solid. Hes shown down winners and doesnt put money in a pot without a hand from what Ive seen.

Pot $45. The turn is a 9. I have top 2 and a flush draw. I bet $40 and he raises to $120. He has another $400 behind and I have him covered. Whats your move?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: $2/$5 NL Live hand

tough hand

Lets see here... You could very well be facing an overpair or 86 for the straight or a set. My guess would be 86 since it seems like a set may raise the flop given there could be overcards to the jack which may end action and the draw heavy board. It could also be two pair.

Anyway, given stack sizes, Id just call the turn. If the river comes a spade, pushing seems fine. If not, check-calling seems the way to go. I just don't think 3 betting in this spot is great since it may induce folds from worse hands that are drawing slim (except overpairs, those you won't necessarily mind folding) The stacksizes make it complicated since you can't b lock bet the river and get away from it comfortably.

Do you ever check this turn? It just doesnt seem wise to play a big pot on the turn.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 AM

Seems like he has a set here almost always. I say he has a set rather than 68 because you pegged him as a solid player, which I take to mean wouldn't limp in LP with 68( ...maybe raise but not limp).

In this spot, you're getting about 2.5:1 when you have about 30% equity against a set, so a call is in order. At the table I wouldn't do the math explictly because it feels like you're priced in, so I'd quickly call (looking like you're calculating here is bad as it will kill your river action) and open push the river if I improve to either a boat or a flush. If I miss entirely, I'm likely to check and then play poker on the river. Probably fold to a PSB but call 1/2 pot or so.

The Doc

The Doc
Old 12-30-2005, 03:17 AM

call and bet the river
Old 12-30-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call and bet the river

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you lead out on the river?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:37 AM

scdavis, so you think Im ahead? What do you put him on?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM

The good thing about this hand is that you are almost never way behind. The only hands that are killing you are JJ and 99 and I feel like the solid player would often raise those holdings on the button after one limper. If you are behind a straight, you have 13-15 outs to win (13 if he has spades, too). If you are behind a set, you have 13 (because there are no spades that can pair the board and fill your opponent and a boat for you will be bigger than any boat he makes provided he doesn't have JJ). On the other hand, you're way ahead of any draw (including combo draws) and totally crushing any other two pair. Raising the turn folds out almost everything you're beating but folding is out of the question so call.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 PM

i kind of like a turn check-raise here.

as played, i'd call and yell "pair the board!" at the dealer. i'm probably leading half-pot on the river and folding to a raise unless i have a flush or boat.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
scdavis, so you think Im ahead? What do you put him on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry my response was a bit lazy there. If the flush hit on the river I'd just go ahead and make a hefty bet if not all-in. If I hit my jack or nine I'd definitely go for the check-raise -- if he was on an all out bluff or has a straight he's gotta bet his hand there.

If a blank hits, given the stacks I think you gotta check and try to get some kind of physical read + his river bet size to figure out whether you can call.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:15 PM

i think you're behind, but you're getting the odds to see a river, so i call here.

i don't see a worse hand coming along if you 3-bet the turn, calling seems like the only option...