Default Re: punishment for cashing out?

[ QUOTE ]
It makes more sense than "playing badly"

[/ QUOTE ]

oh well.
i tried.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:11 AM

do you go on unbelievable winning streaks when you deposit? just another way of looking at it. poker is juust ups and downs - if you are cashing out, it is most likely because you just went on a nice win streak and any $ results following a nice win streak will be looked at critically and blame is difficult to point at oneself. we have all been there at one point or another.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Seriously, Do yourself a favor, get pokertracker to focus on plugging the holes in your game. Then lurk around and read these guys posts for a few months. This forum is a VALUABLE Tool in your poker career. Most of these guys know what they are talking about.

Trust me i was were you are now about a year ago. Also, listen to microbob's advise on bankroll

good luck
Old 09-08-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...I try to cash out $50 - $100 a day after I have increased my bankroll. Increasing my modest bankroll is priority. Then it seems I get no cards and when I do the flop is way off....

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't worry about the "cashout curse" on the major poker sites (PartyPoker, PokerStars, etc.) They don't have to put out dishonest software to make more money. They make an obscene amount of money on rake and tournament fees. If word got out that their software had a built-in "cashout" mode to manipulate the players, they'd lose all of their customers to other online poker sites. It makes no sense for them to do that.

Look at your own game. Maybe you're playing at stakes that are too high for your bankroll? Maybe the cashout causes you to play differently (tighter)?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If word got out that their software had a built-in "cashout" mode to manipulate the players, they'd lose all of their customers to other online poker sites. It makes no sense for them to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that there is a cashout curse, or that sites are rigged for some players, a doom switch, if you will. However, if not on forums like this, how could the word ever get out. Several people come here and tell you poker is rigged, cashout curse, blah blah blah. Everyone gets the same answer. Your an idiot, a fucktard, a donk, YSSCKY, etc.... Not surprisingly, they go away. People on this forum are extremely close minded when it comes to these sorts of possibilities. I agree we would all like to see some facts presented with these types of posts. Some data to back of claims of being rigged. But, all theories begin with a hypothesis, usually one based on their own results. The OP said, "it seems there is a cashout curse. I will do research to see if others agree." She comes to the forum and gets flamed away. Certainly research has not been shown that there is indeed a cashout curse. Nor has research been shown to prove that there is not one. Research has not shown that sites deal more second nut hands. But research has not shown that they do not deal more second nut hands.

As stated, I think online sites make a lot of money playing an honest game. However, I believe that the concept of a cashout curse, rigging the game in favor of the bad players, more second nut hands, would make sites even more money. And so, an evil minded company could rig the game to increase profits, at least until a reputable government legalized the operation and exerts some form of regulation. Do you have that much faith in the people that run these operations? Why do people have more faith in the honesty of an online poker room than they do in their own businesses, bosses, president, etc...?

Finally, my main point is this. How will the word get out that a site is dishonest when these people get treated the way they do for reporting their observations?

There was once a time when people were afraid to provide evidence that the world was round because some (perhaps more experienced posters?) thought it absolutely impossible....
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM

For me the "cashout curse" is just because I'll usually withdraw after a nice hot run, and its just the inevitable cooldown I'm due for. When I first started playing at pacific with the free 10 dollars they give you I ran it up to 180 or so playing the 2 dollar tourneys, and then decided I was good enough that I could withdraw all but 6 dollars and rebuild easily from there. Good times (and no somehow I didn't bust completely but I was playing 5c10c with a 60 cent bankroll.....)
Old 09-08-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, my main point is this. How will the word get out that a site is dishonest when these people get treated the way they do for reporting their observations?

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you even read the original post? The OP appears to think she's guaranteed to win every time, and calls it quits after losing $20 (which is one damn hand at 3/6) because obviously at that point the poker site is out to get her. This thread isn't even about observing a cashout curse. It's about playing way underbankrolled, and lacking a fundamental understanding of poker.

I can't wait for the thread when the OP hits a 150BB downswing...
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you even read the original post? The OP appears to think she's guaranteed to win every time, and calls it quits after losing $20 (which is one damn hand at 3/6) because obviously at that point the poker site is out to get her. This thread isn't even about observing a cashout curse. It's about playing way underbankrolled, and lacking a fundamental understanding of poker.

I can't wait for the thread when the OP hits a 150BB downswing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure the OP might be an idiot, but did you read my post? I guess what you are saying is I should have created my own post to pose these question. Just wanted to avoid cluttering the board. Whether it is this OP, or any other that bitches about a "cashout curse," the response is the same. I am just wondering how one "gets the word out."
Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 PM

The cash out curse is of course a reality. Poker sites like your money, and they want to give you an incentive to keep it in your account.

However, they have written code into their software to protect those "in the know" from this curse. Let me let you in on this valuable secret:
When you want to cashout, find the prime number closest to the amount you want, then subtract the value of pi (to 2 decimal places), cashout that amount, and voila!

Try it, works every time for me.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:50 PM

I have no theory one way or another but it is importnat to note that online sites are not regulated.

When I play roulette/slots for fun at a B&M, I only do so in AC or Vegas because they have the toughest game agencies in the world. The agencies have the authority to show up and randomly take a machine/wheel and inspect it. Not so in other areas (riverrboats, Indian reservations, etc). So, an online site based in the Philippines or whatever can pretty much do what it wants. Now will it do so? I don't know. But it can.