Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Four handed abomination

ABOMINATION #1: Villian has been aggressive recently, and I haven't seen too many of his hands 3 handed. He takes his time but I've seen him do some stupid things.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter

Button (t1785)
Hero (t2925)
BB (t3760)
UTG (t5030)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t225, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t750) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t450</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1200

ABOMINATION #2 JUSTIFICATION: I'd gotten the big stack by raising to 4BB and watching them fold. Now I'm at a point where if I raise to 4BB and they push, I have to call. So I'll save them the trouble and push myself. Does this make sense?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

Hero (t7115)
SB (t1475)
BB (t1590)
UTG (t3320)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t1365 (All-In).

Flop: (t4440) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t4440) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t4440) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4440

I'm probably viewed as annoyingly aggressive throughout. I seriously need some help here. I hate to ruin the ending, but even with that huge stack in HAND #2, I finished OTM. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Four handed abomination

Hand 1:
Check-raise all in. I don't see why you're even calling the PF raise if you won't even commit your chips on that flop.

Hand 2: Try min-raising to steal blinds and folding to pushes as a way to mix it up. I find this can be effective. All told, I think the push was fine.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 AM

I think the first hand is about as bad as it gets, how can you put him on an overpair with nothing more than a raise PF and a continuation bet. Especially when you said he was aggressive. A raise is in order on the flop at the very least.

Hand two I don't think is that bad, you're the big stack, blinds are decently high, and QJs is a decent hand. I'd be shoving there too.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the first hand is about as bad as it gets, how can you put him on an overpair with nothing more than a raise PF and a continuation bet. Especially when you said he was aggressive. A raise is in order on the flop at the very least.

Hand two I don't think is that bad, you're the big stack, blinds are decently high, and QJs is a decent hand. I'd be shoving there too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-06-2005, 10:20 AM

Personally I don't mind the first hand. You're getting 12-1 or something on your money to flop a set and stuck to the plan (There was a plan right?) of getting away cheaply if you missed.

It's limit dependent, but certainly in the lower limits I think this play is fine.

Lori
Old 09-06-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I don't mind the first hand. You're getting 12-1 or something on your money to flop a set and stuck to the plan (There was a plan right?) of getting away cheaply if you missed.

It's limit dependent, but certainly in the lower limits I think this play is fine.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

What range do you put UTG on?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost anything, but I dont fancy gambling for such a small pot.

Lori
Old 09-06-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost anything, but I dont fancy gambling for such a small pot.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]
T1200 is almost half your stack.

CR All-in, pick this pot up, IMHO.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're getting 12-1 or something on your money to flop a set

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? are including some kind of implied odds here? What am I missing?

SAM