Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Strategy for Online Multi-table tourneys

Can someone tell me the best source for online multi-table strategy? Over the past year I have fine-tuned my SNG game and have a great win rate. I have also had sucess with the 2 and 3 table SNGs. However, there appears to be a beakdown in my strategy for big multi-table tourneys (I'm talking $2-$5 buy-in, 1,500-2,500 participants). I recognize that the mere volume of players in these tourneys, together with the ever-present loose online play, reduces the chances of a decent player's winning. However, the more I play, the more I feel that its just a crap shoot. Thus far, my strategy has been to play super tight aggressive at the beginning levels- never putting too many of my chips at risk. I have had some sucess building-up my stack a bit this way. During the middle stages of the tourney I open-up my starting hand requirments a bit and start applying the Gap principle. However, it seems that the only times I survive the middle stages are when I take too may chances and put too much at risk. Otherwise, the blinds inevitably catch up with me and I wind-up a major short stack. It also seems like the only folks to get ahead are the super loose aggresive types. I have looked but have been unable to find a definitive authority on these types of tourneys. Any suggestions on strategy or on where I could find the guidance I seek?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Strategy for Online Multi-table tourneys

Reading Harrington on Hold'em (volume 2- volume 1 is a beginners book in my opinion) would probably help you. Also, you need to play like a LAG to build a stack, people in low buyin tourneys play like morons early- take some chances and try to take their stacks. Playing tight early is a recipe to just get blinded out.

Your question is pretty general though, just start reading the forum too.