Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Money stolen through Partypoker

This just happened to a friend of mine, so I don't have all the details yet. My friend has an account on PartyPoker which he hasn't used in a while. Today he checked his bank statement, and found that a couple thousand dollars had been transferred out of his account, into PartyPoker, through IGM-Pay. When he logged into PartyPoker, there was only $60 left in his account. My guess is that someone found out his password somehow and transferred or gambled the money away to another account. My friend called PartyPoker and they said there was nothing they could do about it. I'm not sure if he's called IGM-Pay yet.

Is this sort of thing common? Is there anything my friend can do to get the money back, or is the situation hopeless?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Money stolen through Partypoker

Tell him to get a password safe, and generate a 20-25 digit password with random ascii characters and up and down letters. This helps ALOT.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell him to get a password safe, and generate a 20-25 digit password with random ascii characters and up and down letters. This helps ALOT.

[/ QUOTE ]That's good advice for the future, but do you have any ideas about getting back the money he's already lost?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 PM

Nope. Sorry.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This just happened to me , so I don't have all the details yet. I had an account on PartyPoker which I haven't used in a while...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-03-2005, 09:30 PM

It happened to my friend's account, but believe whatever you like. Does it matter?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 PM

On a semi-related note: Did anybody else read the article in USA Today today about online bank theft? The person in the story had his e-trade retirement account cleaned out and e-trade just said, that was too bad, but they couldn't give him his money back. The article said that it is very easy to gain access to online bank accounts even if they are behind firewalls and all that. And if someone grabs your acccount from an online bank you are SOL and they will not give you your money back. I don't think I will be opening an emigrant direct account anytime soon.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...accounts_x.htm
Old 11-03-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It happened to my friend's account, but believe whatever you like. Does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Seems the forums get clogged with people whose first posts are 1) online poker is rigged 2) check out this bad beat 3) I/my friend lost a bunch of money through nefarious means. We happen to get a lot of initial posts almost identical to yours.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:14 PM

Actually something similar happened to a friend of mine at Empire and he did get his money back. He was at an undergroud poker club and while he was in a live game he let a friend log on to a computer they had there and play with his Empire account in an online tourney. What he never noticed was that when he logged on the default is to save login id and password.

The next night someone else comes into the club, turns on the computer, notices it has Empire software, opens it up, logs into the default account (my friend's) and finds $2000 to play with. The money dissapears in about 15 minutes and I guess just about the entire amount went to the same opponent.

Empire froze the recepient's account, checked the hand histories, asked the recepient for an explanation, none was forthcoming, my friend's money was refunded.

True story. Happy ending. Wasn't me but I know it happened for a fact.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Empire froze the recepient's account, checked the hand histories, asked the recepient for an explanation, none was forthcoming, my friend's money was refunded.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow. Hopefully PartyPoker is as diligent as Empire in investigating fraud.