Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Poker sites prediction...

PokerStars will very soon be the most frequented online poker room and Party will lose about half their customer base, some which they have already lost by cutting off their skins. Anyways here's why...

-The poker boom started with the WSOP ebing televised in 2003 and since 2003 PokerStars has had every main event winner do PR for them.
-This will attract the fish, and then the serious players.
-Software and service is better than average.

I'd give it 2 years at the very most to become the biggest site online.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Poker sites prediction...

Where do you buy a crystal ball like that?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars will very soon be the most frequented online poker room

[/ QUOTE ]

One could argue that that is already the case.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:25 PM

To be the leader they have to get more cash games going and make them easyer to find, by doing much like Party has.

-Split the limits into different tabs.

-Make it so you can join all the waiting lists at once to get on the first available table (fish like this, it's easy)

-Get some props to start more tables at peak hours.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:34 PM

I'm not sure why it would logically follow that Stars' strategy would attract the fish.
I think i'd argue the opposite: Party, with their bright, loud, crazy ads seems to target exclusively the fish. They encourage you to play at work, play if you're very old, etc. with a bunch of flashing lights and bells.

Stars, on the other hand, has crafted ads geared towards the serious player: they say, if you want to win the WSOP, this is the place to go. Problem is, I think most people don't have that goal. They like to pop online, play cards for a half hour, then log off. Their ads have likely contributed substantially to their status as the #1 tournament site, but tournaments take time to play and thus their appeal is limited.

If Stars was going to overtake Party, I think it would have happened by now. We'll likely continue to see movement back and forth, but I can't imagine one site will see a huge surge at the expense of the other.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars will very soon be the most frequented online poker room

[/ QUOTE ]
As of yesterday, they were.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Stars was going to overtake Party, I think it would have happened by now. We'll likely continue to see movement back and forth, but I can't imagine one site will see a huge surge at the expense of the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I snipped the bit about Party marketing for fish and Stars marketing for serious players, but it ties into your conclusion.

Poker is on an upswing now. When it hits the next downswing, it's going to be the recreational Party players that drop off more than the serious Stars players.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:08 PM

Stars I think will continue to grow a solid player base, and will continue to try and gather a larger market share, by listening to players and providing a nice service.

If they could get more bad players to play there it would be pretty much the only place to play.

Right now it seems that Party and Stars are about even in the number of players, it will probably stay that way for a while IMO.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:20 PM

i think stars # include play money. Partys #s do not.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think stars # include play money. Partys #s do not.

[/ QUOTE ]
PartyPoker.com and PartyPoker.net show the same numbers, so unless they only list their real-money players on their play-money site, it does include play money.

I think what you heard is that PS has more play money players. It's a sign of growth, considering play money players often become real-money players (remember, the ads tell them to go to .net), while the reverse is rarely true.