Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 07:12 AM

Default tipping at the wsop

I heard they take out a percentage of the prize pool at the w.s.o.p. I dont know how much maybe 3%to pay the dealers. If first place was 7.5 million, should the champ tip anything?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: tipping at the wsop

the correct answer: if he wants to
Old 10-16-2005, 01:10 PM

I know that there's a certain expectation. I was with Dave Williams when he got his money the day after 2004 and it was politely explained to him by Matt Savage and a Binions rep that 3% was considered the norm.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was with Dave Williams when he got his money the day after 2004 and it was politely explained to him by Matt Savage and a Binions rep that 3% was considered the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Positively Fifth Street, there are a couple of paragraphs where Jim McManus describes this convention in detail. Except, you know, without the David Williams part.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:22 PM

If you do a search in the WPT forum, you'll find a several page thread dealing with this same issue.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that there's a certain expectation. I was with Dave Williams when he got his money the day after 2004 and it was politely explained to him by Matt Savage and a Binions rep that 3% was considered the norm.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty lame of matt to do given the % they took out of the prize pool that year. Unless he also explained how much was taken out and that 3% isn't the norm after they do that.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:15 PM

This year Harrah's took out 6% of the main event prize pool so I dont think there is the slightest obligation for any winner to tip. That didnt apply last year.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty lame of matt to do given the % they took out of the prize pool that year. Unless he also explained how much was taken out and that 3% isn't the norm after they do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was all on the up and up. It was more of a 'let the new kid know what'd been done before he arrived' kind of conversation. Savage explained all the financial details, including % taken from the prize pool, etc.

Gary