Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Absolute nuts, but questions along the way.

MP1 here is 37/4/.78 after 250 hands. I'm starting to think I should have raised preflop, and also re-raised the turn, as I had a ton of outs. Also, was I right to bet this river, or with MP1's aggression on the turn should I have went for the check-raise? Any comments appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

River: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 08-08-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Absolute nuts, but questions along the way.

Apart from raising pf, I'd play it the same way.

The turn raise is debatable, but you'll usually just be charging yourself to draw with less than 50% equity.

I'd also rather donkbet the river because Villain is probably raising either an ace or 2 hearts. The ace might check behind this very scary card (villain is pretty passive), and the 2 hearts will probably go to war with you either way.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:22 AM

The preflop raise is sort of getting into that grey "advanced play" arena...I like it, and it's certainly correct in this situation, but you have to be pretty comfortable with your postflop skills to play a hand like KJs from out of position after a preflop raise. So yes, it's good that you thought about raising, and at some point you should be raising here, but just completing is not terrible by any means.

I like leading the flop. Some people will no doubt say you should have check/raised--the problem is that with nobody raising before the flop, you can't be sure that anyone will bet it. And since no draw short of QJ has the correct odds to call even 1 bet, there's not much point in facing the field with 2 (you'll only end up folding hands you'd like to keep in, given the pot size &amp; your hand).

Do not 3-bet the turn. That would be absolute spewage in a HU pot. How many outs you have is questionable--if MP1 is holding QJ then all you have is your flush outs. If he's got AT or A6, you've got 11 outs. Either way, you do not hold an equity advantage over any hand that MP1 is likely to raise with, so a 3-bet is just lining his pockets over the long run.

You have to lead the river. He's a pretty passive player, and that's a very scary river card depending on his holding (don't forget that it puts a 4-straight to broadway on the board, as well as the flush possibility). A passive opponent can only be counted on to bet this river if he's got the J, but he'll call with quite a few more holdings.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 AM

If I ever get one, I'll let you know the line I took, since I've played about 4 times more hands than probability dictates it would take to land one. Any day now, yep, any day now...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
like leading the flop. Some people will no doubt say you should have check/raised

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems really fancy for a small pot with TPGK and no aggressors.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I ever get one, I'll let you know the line I took, since I've played about 4 times more hands than probability dictates it would take to land one. Any day now, yep, any day now...

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like a teenager with bad acne trying to get laid.

The first time I got one, confetti fell from the ceiling, a brass band burst through my door, and Doyle Brunson himself appeared on my screen with a personalized congratulatory message.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:49 PM

I'd raise KJs pre-flop against these limps. MP1 is fairly loose, and MP3 could be calling here with any suited connectors or mid pairs. BB will get 1:7 on a call, and will probably call with hands you have equity on, if he folds that's dead money. I wouldn't raise KJo though.

The rest I play the same. I don't try for the c/r on the river here because of the double scare card. 3-flush and 4 to a straight. Villian is pretty passive and I would expect him to check behind fairly often.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:24 PM

Laid or a Royal?