Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 03:07 AM

Default JJ vs flop C-R

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP2 calls.

MP2 is 38/1 over 120 hands, and both the SB and BB are 50/1 over 200+ hands. These are the three fish at the table, and I've got them all in the hand. Purrrrfect.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero ...

This was the first decision point. There's no flush draw here, MP2 didn't limp-reraise (so I think AA is unlikely), so I put him on a 6, a 7, 89, an overpair (88, 99, TT), or maybe a gutshot. There's no way for me to check in-depth PT stats while playing so I don't know his AF, but this guy hasn't been too crazy so I suspect it's low, and that means one of the scarier holdings (a 6, that is). My thinking is call and see what the turn brings. I'm too passive overall, is this someplace I should be 3-betting?

Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero ...

Did I screw up? Should I have 3-bet the flop so I could figure out where he is? His continued aggression suggests trips or better, but is that MUBS? Note that I'm not too worried about this Q -- BB might have one but prolly not. Bat sense tells me worst case is 89 of hearts.

I call after a PFR 12% of the time, so usually I'm betting out (52%). The line I sometimes see is that someone that barely hits the flop will raise me (maybe even a check-raise) when they also hit (like with a K7 on a KT2 flop vs my AK), evidently cuz they don't give the PFR credit. People at the micros with trips and sets rarely raise the flop, so what does this guy have?
Old 08-22-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Re: JJ vs flop C-R

What is MP2's AF?
Old 08-22-2005, 03:22 AM

The only assist that I use is PT's gametime window, which doesn't quickly show AF.

I had originally included his AF, but it's not one of the things that I look up when I'm playing. My read, at the time of the hand, was that his tiny PFR and the fact that I hadn't noticed anything unusual from him meant that he was fairly passive post.

EDIT: So, uh, what I'm trying to say is: I'm not including his AF here so to not unduly influence responses.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:55 AM

I was trying to get an idea of how passive or aggressive this guy is. Based on his preflop stats he's probably a semi-passive guy (a REALLY passive player has a 6 a really good percentage of the time here, but I'm not sure this is the case in this situation). I think raising here is a good play, with 3-betting the flop also being a valid option. You would like the other opponent to fold A7 or perhaps T9 (this would be a thin call but the pot is getting sizeable). Also, MP2 probably has 99 or K7 often enough for this to be for value -- of course it would help if we knew something about his aggression [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
Old 08-22-2005, 04:03 AM

Reraise the flop. This is an excellent place to drive out SB and BB or punish them hard for the overcard draws. Also, as you noted yourself, just calling the flop raise usually means you have to face a new bet on the turn.

I wouldn't worry too much about trips or a boat since many people would wait for the turn to check-raise with those hands.