Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Weak top pairs from the blinds

I'm having trouble playing these kinds of hands. Could use some input as to a general strategy to use in these situations. I don't have one. I check/fold, check/call, lead weak, lead strong. And I usually find the wrong thing to do at the wrong time in these hands.

These are hypothetical hands. To take out variables, let's say it's your first or second hand at the table, no reads on anyone, and everyone has mega-deep stacks.

Full table. .50/$1 blinds, NLHE. In every hand there's 3 players who limp in from MP/LP, and then both blinds play, so it's 5 handed making a $5 total pot preflop.

Hand #1 - Hero is BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero ?

Hand #2 - Hero is BB with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Flop 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero ?

Hand #3 - Hero is SB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero's action ?

Hand #4 - Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero's action ?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Weak top pairs from the blinds

I struggle with this two. Two things I use to help me decide what to do are: how likely is it that they have top pair as well (Much more likely to have a 10 than a 6) and how is my kicker. If the pair is low and I don't think they have it, I probably bet and try to take it down or have them call with overs. If my kicker is good, I also bet but probably for value. In the second hand, I would just check and fold to any bet, because my kicker sucks and they could easily have called with a 10.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Weak top pairs from the blinds

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #1 - Hero is BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]
c/f

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #2 - Hero is BB with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Flop 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero ?

[/ QUOTE ]
c/f

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #3 - Hero is SB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Flop 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero's action ?

[/ QUOTE ]
bet pot, give up easily

[ QUOTE ]

Hand #4 - Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Flop 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero's action ?

[/ QUOTE ]
bet pot, give up easily