Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Some Dell 2001fp questions for you people blessed with one...

Gotta have one. I really want two of them, but they are rather pricy so I'll start with one I guess.

Anyone can share their experience with 5-plus-tabling on a 2001fp TFT in pair with a (Dell) 21" CRT? Any problems getting them to work together? I know people do get it to work with two monitors, but will the mix of a TFT and a CRT be any problem? Also, will the different screen qualities make it akward to look at when playing long sessions? Etc.

Thanks for any input.

Adde
Old 02-02-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Some Dell 2001fp questions for you people blessed with one...

It really depends on your video card how the two minitors will work together. I have a 19" CRT and a 2001fp and it works just fine. I prefer looking at the 2001fp.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:15 PM

Plenty of people do it. I personally do think the difference will get annoying. When you look at a CRT your brain flattens out the curved picture, when you then look at an LCD it ends up kind of curving the already flat picture to do the same compensation. In general multi monitoring with anything but identical monitors gets annoying. Also, once you get the 2001fp you'll want to trash every other monitor you have. Trust me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 02:42 PM

That is my exact setup currently. I actually find it hard on the eyes going back and forth between the CRT and 2001FP though. I can handle it for a couple hours, but then I just have to go back to 4 tables and turn off the CRT for a while. But it is certainly doable, and I'm using the profits gained on the 5th and 6th tables to fund my future purchase of another 2001FP.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:43 PM

i had a 17in lcd, ordered a dell. used the 2 in conjunction, wanted the same resolution, so i got my buddy with a 21 crt to loan it to me until i got another dell.

used the crt and dell in conjunction and i didn't have a problem with it, but quickly ordered another dell so they could match and that massive crt was killing me.

I don't think you'll have a problem, it kinda feels weird at first because different brightnesses/feels etc, but if you don't plan on getting a second 2001 anytime soon i don't see any reason why you couldn't work with this setup for a while. depending on the crt the refresh rate may cause some headache type issues, but if that is the monitor you've been using it should be fine.

just be aware that when you have the dell juxtaposed against another monitor, it makes you splurge and buy another dell.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just be aware that when you have the dell juxtaposed against another monitor, it makes you splurge and buy another dell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm going to get another one at the end of the month. My 17" LCD just looks too crappy next to the big bertha 2001.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:50 PM

I just got one and will start saving for 3 more of them eventually. I like it that much.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:19 PM

One bit of advice for aspiring 2001FP owners, make sure you have a video card with DVI. If you don't and you think you'll ever get a 2nd 2001FP, get one with dual DVI. When I got my 2nd, I had one on DVI and one on analog. I bought a dual DVI video card within a few weeks, because the difference is pretty noticeable. The monitor is very nice on analog, and GLORIOUS on DVI.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I added the Dell to a 19" NEC CRT and within a week got another LCD. I couldn't take the CRT anymore. The CRT was flickering though. I hadn't noticed the flicker before. The CRT is about 6 years old, maybe it just a coincidence that it started going at the same time, or maybe I hadn't noticed it before it was next to the LCD. Anyway, I needed to clear up desk space also.

I didn't get a second Dell however, as the resolution makes text seem too small for my taste and aging eyes. So I got a 19" Samsung P973 w/ 1024x768. I find using different monitors is is not ideal in that the screen heights, brightness and colors don't match, which is a little disturbing, but I like the 19" more for general purpose use due to the bigger text.

I'm a begginer player and usually don't play more than 2 tables though. For max comfort and performance multitabling, 2 matching Dells would probably be better. I don't know of any other LCD that has the height adjusting range of the Dell either.

My card is DVI/Analog and I noticed an improvement with whichever one was on the DVI. I found some dual DVI cards for under $200 which takes some searching as most cost a lot more. I didn't buy one yet anyway. I'm thinking when PCI Express catches on more, AGP cards prices will probably dive.

I scored the Dell when they had 25% off last month and piggybacked a $50. coupon so I got it for $550 + tax.

-TomBk
Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 PM

Can someone please share their experiences running a 2001fp off a laptop? I've heard it's possible... would extending to the laptop desptop work ok? I have a Sony PCG-k25 and i'm running a 19 inch CRT off of it right now.

Also I just noticed that the 2001fp isn't LCD. What exactly is TFT?