Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 09:48 PM

Default A Hand I Misplayed (I Think)

It's the 3rd hand of a stars 180-person 20+2 SnG. I don't have notes on either opponent. All three of us have our original 1500.

I'm on the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG opens for 5xBB. 2 callers, I call, BB folds.

4 to the flop for 21 BB. Flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I lead for the pot. UTG calls, MP minraises. 1 fold, I call, UTG calls. I think this was my first mistake. Should I have either raised or folded, given my bad relative position?

Turn comes A. I check, UTG check, MP goes all-in (overbetting).

Hero ... ?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: A Hand I Misplayed (I Think)

I'm probably going to re-raise pre-flop, that way you get all the speculative hands, weak aces, and small pairs out.. I used to just call with AK a couple months ago, but now playing it more aggressively because Im getting paid off big with other A-x combos.

Edit: 8-8 or 10-10 is also a good possibility for MP, but again, he's really overbetting a full house here.
On the turn Im going to bet out so nobody with a flush or straight draw has the chance to draw for free.. after MP's all-in on the turn I probably call and hope he's outkicked or is a donk on a flush draw.. as you mentioned, overbet +
MP's min-raise and subsequent all-in makes it seem like he has an ace or is a donk on a flush draw.. I really don't think anyone plays aces full this way, and that's the only hand that's beating you right now (Unless they're really primative thinkers)
Old 11-20-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: A Hand I Misplayed (I Think)

Yeah, that's a pretty ugly scenario, as a whole. Given the preflop and flop action, I'd be astonished if you were ahead here all that often when the minraise comes back to you on the flop. The worst hand that I'd imagine MP having given all of this is AK; I think he'll frequently have AT, TT, 88, or even AA. (Looking at the turn, AA seems impossible.) The A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] being out means flush draws are somewhat less likely. So, painful as it may be, I think a fold might be in order to the minraise, because it seems like calling that bet is basically deciding to go broke with this hand. With that A on the turn, I think you're going to be splitting or losing to a boat usually, so again, I think it's a tough fold. Maybe I'm just not creative enough and I'm giving MP too much credit, but I have a hard time imagining what else you're going to see here - KK?

The rest of the decisions in this hand seem a little tricky; at least I'm not sure right away what I would do. I'd consider reraising PF (not sure about that), and while I think leading out on the flop was probably right given the PF action, I think I'd lead out smaller.