Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 11:06 AM

Default How would you have played this?

MP2 was fairly aggressive pre-flop, having raised a few times before this, but had shown very few hands, (the one hand he showed was AKo). The blinds seemed to like playing any two cards in the blind, raised or not. Was my line of play reasonable or too aggressive or should I not have been in the hand at all?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button folds, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 01-26-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: How would you have played this?

Preflop is an easy call.

Flop looks ok to me, you were really hoping MP2 raises the flop with his overcards.

I probably slow down on the turn when it's still 4 way.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 PM

If I'm raised on this flop, I cannot assume it's just overcards. It could most certainly be an overpair. If I'm hero, I'm happy to not be raised.

I think the turn bet is good here. The 3 isn't helping anyone, but a second club on the board could, so why not bet if your 7s are good here?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:34 PM

yeah my usual line on the turn if raised on the flop (and I'm HU on the turn) is to bet-fold against an aggressive player who is more likely to have overcards, and to check fold against a more passive/typical player who probably has a pair or something like ATs.

EDIT: just as a hunch, I think that our hand may be best now, but pretty much any river card sucks and if we have an equity edge it's by a very slim amount, our opponents have a lot of collective outs against us. I just check due to the large number of opponents still here.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:40 PM

So if you got raised on this flop, you'd lead out on the turn against an aggressive player and fold to another raise? Hmmm.

I see your logic. It seems like you're looking to make villan tell you he's better than you with two raises and not just one.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:43 PM

yeah, I guess I need a read that he'll raise overcards on the flop to try that play, but I've been using it in blind steal situations and it's worked fairly well so far. I usually don't use it against typical opponents.

now if he can read my hand and knows I'll fold to the turn raise and thus might raise overcards again on the turn, then I guess I'm playing poker...I'll have to think about/work on that one.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:05 PM

Absolutely bet this turn. You should call one here anyways, so why not be first in and bet, there is absolutely no reason to expect a raise behind you, your hand might be good.

Looks well played to me.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:35 PM

I play this the exact same way and a flop raise by MP2 is what I expect about 50% of the time. I don't mind it because it cleans up the feild (usually). I bet out on the turn even if there was a flop raise (and assuming MP2's raise made it HU). Now if MP2 raises again on the turn I think your facing a high PP about 70% of the time. But this is VERY read dependant.

The way the hand played out my only concern is the T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
A majority of loose player will play and T/paint combo. If the flop had been 9 4 6 I would feel alot better about it. Even if a blank fell on the river I check this.

I do have one question though. Is there anytime the PF call would be incorrect with this hand (IE: With a EP raise and no callers or an EP raise and you are MP1 or worse ETC.) I think it is a definate fold against any 3-bet situation or not even then?