Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: QQ Hand

Preflop slanders aside on Boris, I would like to think more what his opponents put Boris on in this particular hand since Boris did not raise preflop and had the sb after a few limpers. Boris range of hands could be very wide here. J-5 suit, J-3 suited, 3-5 suited or offsuit, along with 33,55 could all be very likely hands since Boris only called an extra half bet.

So this makes for a very interesting post flop play IMHO because what we have is essentially a pretty good board for QQ OOP. My first choice would probably have been to bet, 3-bet and squeeze the damn gutshots and 5 outers for all the damn value I can.

But the way Boris plays it, it smells more like a set. But that's just the way I see it and I don't know how Boris' opponents perceive him at the table and whether or not they even bother to pay attention to how Boris plays big hands.

I don't really like the turn check-raise here and I am finding that in spots where I am OOP with possibly the best hand I like the bet a lot more than the check-raise on this particular board with this particular line-up. Straight forward play seems to be best and betting out garners for more information regarding the strength of your hand so that opponents have to give you some degree of respect for your hand. Check-raises are are overrated for textbook reasons like giving the damn free card, and ultimately facing a 3-bet with a good but not great hand putting you in a tough bind.

Am I the only one who likes the check-call on the river? Everything to this point heavily suggests my opponent might have a set here. Sure he may have KJ, QJ, and the likelihood of a counterfeited 2 pair, but I don't see how betting this river can be for value based on how Boris had shown aggression and his opponent even more aggression.

Lawrence