Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: .
Granny Mae 63 57.27%
Sredni Vashta 47 42.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Poll: What goes through a fish\'s mind

I'm clearing a bonus at interpoker, anyway I get AA in middle position. Folds to me and I raise, cut off cold calls, everyone including blinds folds.

Flop is a rainbow A T J, giving me top set, I bet, he calls.
Turn is a 4, a brick if there every was one, I bet, he calls.
River K, not a great card as makes a straight somewhat likely, especially if he was playing something like QJ (which is a typical fish cold call hand).

Never the less I bet and he raises (dang) I call and he flips over Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Obviously his play is hillarious but what has been bothering me all day is what goes through this person's mind, especially preflop. How can a grown man (assumption) from Battle Creek, MI choose such an abysimal course of action. Obviously if he has QJ his play is still bad but at least I can understand it (I have face cards! I have a pair now! etc). Does he think he's making a good play to cold call with Q3o? Does he think it doesn't matter? Or does he know it's a bad play and just doesn't care...

What is an uber fish's mentality???
Old 06-29-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Poll: What goes through a fish\'s mind

Nothing so obvious. preflop: I want to see the flop. Flop: Ooh all I need is a King and that makes a straight and straights are good hands. Turn: Same as flop. River: Yay I am good.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-29-2005, 06:26 PM

"I'm Johnny Chan! I'm Gus Hansen!"
Old 06-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Didn't you ever play those little handheld video poker games? You get dealt five cards, and you can choose to hold or draw as many of those five as you want. You get one draw, and then you are paid based on the hand ranking you have.

You get dealt 89JQJ. You think "I know I have a pair and can get at minimum my money back, but if I hit that T, just think of how awesome that will be!!" Especially at the micro limits, the money most of these people are playing with means nothing to them. They feel much better about making a really good hand once in a while than actually winning money over the long run.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:59 PM

Heard a lady at a live 2/4 table reply to her husband's question (he was sitting next to her), "you play every hand?", she says "it's all just luck anyways". She had just called a raise and a re-raise in the BB with 86 offsuit.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:30 PM

I remember back before I played poker seriously, didn't know online poker existed, and just played sometimes randomly with friends. I thought it was all just luck. My friend and I used to comment how AA was supposedly the best hand in hold'em, but really, your hand will be made or broken by the flop, so what's the difference?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:34 PM

I have heard lot of comments in my no-foldem holdem friendly family games like "You can't win if you don't see the flop".

I think they are basically gamblers at heart who simply enjoy the action.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard lot of comments in my no-foldem holdem friendly family games like "You can't win if you don't see the flop".

I think they are basically gamblers at heart who simply enjoy the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some that is definitely true. For others, they genuinely believe they are making good plays. If you don't think statistically, here's a mental process:

"Oooh, I have a queen. That's the 3rd highest card in the deck. I have a good hand."
Old 06-29-2005, 07:57 PM

Fish dont know what they are doing.

When I first started playing I played free money thank goodness.

And I didnt have a clue about hands. I was as confused as hell about what to do. (Am I better now? LOL [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

If I got a hand that had a picture like a Q in it, I thought that cant be too bad. And if you dont know what to do, you call to see the flop.

He had a gut-shot. He didnt know about odds. He just knew that if he caught a K, that he might win.

Not everyone is a 2+2 er, and I dont expect that player thought anything more complicated than that.

A lot of fish play for fun and obviously they hope to win.

But I know someone who is quite an intelligent guy, who has never picked up a poker book in his life and he just used to play by the seat of his pants. (And used to lose lol)

In fact I know a lot of people who if you ask them, just think that playing poker is like playing the lottery and that its just all luck.

Thats how fish think. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 12:12 PM

"meow meow meow meow,
meow meow meow meow,
meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow.."