Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Fearless state of mind when playing poker?

I play at my best when I feel no fear, but I don't always feel like that. Kind of like a tennis player being in or out of form. How do I top my form in poker?

I got to think about this when I saw Layne Flack in the recent airing of WSOP ME 2005. He played brilliantly, confident extraordinary, with no fear whatsoever.

How do I get into that fearless state of mind when grinding it out at the tables?

(I play online for relatively small stakes ($2/$4), and I make a nice living out of it, so the stakes themselves are of no concern why I feel fearless or not. Neither are the competition, since I pretty much always play against the same type of players.)

Adde
Old 11-03-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Fearless state of mind when playing poker?

What do you fear when you dont play your best?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:23 PM

I like to read a poker book before I play for this reason. Read for a good 15-20 minutes and you'll be good to go.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 PM

What do you fear when you dont play your best?

Excelent question. I can't say I fear anything in specific, or at all, but still I don't have that fearless feeling. Not easy to explain, I admit. Perhaps an example will help:

When I feel fearless, I go ahead and fire a second bluff bet without blinking. At other times, in the same game situation, I don't feel as fearless, and hesitate to go through with the bluff. Compare with a basketball player, who doesn't hesitate to shoot a 3-pointer when he's in good form, but otherwise might hesitate.

Adde
Old 11-03-2005, 07:21 PM

I know completely what you're talking about and think it has to do with testosterone and aggression levels.

FWIW they did a study on chess players and the winners had elevated testosterone levels.

I think an aggressive frame of mind is paramount when talking about poker.

Sorry nothing constructive here, just some observations.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:38 PM

Sorry nothing constructive here, just some observations.

No need to apologize, that's some nice input. Now, how do we maximize our testosterone and aggression without taking drugs?

Adde
Old 11-03-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how do we maximize our testosterone and aggression without taking drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Testosterone increases with muscle activity. Try doing some intense weight lifting right before playing. Pushups would be easy if you don't have equipment. I've never tried this, so I don't know if it will work, but it might be worth a shot.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know completely what you're talking about and think it has to do with testosterone and aggression levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think running good or bad has the most to do with it. One of the major differences between a great player and an average/mediocre one is how confidently and fearlessly they play when running bad.

I say this because I recently came to the conclusion that it's by far my biggest leak. I've reviewed my play in one particular live game I regularly play in and, although running bad (35 PP's in a row without a set, 2 fl's in the last 3 weeks), I definitely have lost more than I should by weakening up sometimes because of it.

Playing with no respect for money isn't an easy thing to do, which the great players do, and maybe an even harder thing to admit when you don't.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:27 AM

Feels like its entirely a function of running good or not. When you're running good nothing can go wrong. So you go with your reads. It's like if you just stacked someone with a set and then the next hand you sucked out on someone else and then you're in a spot where you think someone's bluffing, you go with your read because everything's working for you so far so you trust yourself more. You kind of feel invincible...And that makes you invincible to an extent.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:40 AM

"What do you fear when you dont play your best?"

"Excelent question. I can't say I fear anything in specific, or at all,"

------------

I have ellimated my fears at the poker table by systematically knowing them, tracking them, and taking specific measures, sometimes requiring years, to elliminate them.

Here are some of the fears I have done away with. I am listing them in case seeing them in print aids your self-awareness.

1) The fear of playing bad
2) The fear of thinking I played bad
3) The fear of looking like I played bad
4) The fear of other people thinking I played bad
5) The fear of losing
6) The fear of losing money
7) The fear of playing too long
8) The fear of thinking I played too long
9) The fear of looking like I played too long
10) The fear of playing while underfunded
11) The fear of playing while underrested
12) The fear of paying off like a chump when I know I'm beat
13) The fear of missing bets

There's a bunch more I'm sure. I'm just rattling these off the top of my head. Incredibly, I am no longer afraid of any of those things I listed, or traffic jams, of hard-drive failures, or all sorts of other things too. And I used to be nothing but a walking collection of fear. All I'm saying is, it's possible. But it ain't easy. And it ain't fast.

Tommy