Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: 2005 WSOP Main Event

[ QUOTE ]
But yes, it will be a lucky amatuer.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say this? There will be at least 300 professionals playing in this tournament. To say that they have no chance at winning is foolish.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But yes, it will be a lucky amatuer.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say this? There will be at least 300 professionals playing in this tournament. To say that they have no chance at winning is foolish.

[/ QUOTE ]

While amateurs make up a huge portion of the entries, I think a pro will win it this year.
Last year, some of the bigger names tried to bully the amateurs into submission with big raises and bluffs. Like Daniel N. said, a lot of the amateurs were too stupid to realize they shouldn't be calling and made the calls.
I'd be surprised if some of the favorites didn't just sit back for a little while and let the amateurs knock each other out then go to work when the field is down to a managable number.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last year, some of the bigger names tried to bully the amateurs into submission with big raises and bluffs. Like Daniel N. said, a lot of the amateurs were too stupid to realize they shouldn't be calling and made the calls.
I'd be surprised if some of the favorites didn't just sit back for a little while and let the amateurs knock each other out then go to work when the field is down to a managable number.

[/ QUOTE ]

When will it be a manageable number? You'll have to have 1/4 to 1/2 of a million in chips to be an average stack and facing a "manageable number" of players.

The key is to not bluff players who won't be bluffed, but to value bet them. Daniel made that mistake, and he knows it. So do some other players who made that mistake. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, trying to bluff a player when I know their hand is pretty weak, but not making myself realize that this guy will call with that pocket pair of 6s when I push in on a flop of 4h9dJs (while holding AK).

The smart players do not merely survive the first couple of days, they use them to accummulate chips while there are still a lot of really weak players left in the field. They merely have to remember to accummulate chips intelligently, and not by trying to bulldoze the weak players.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 03-23-2005, 02:02 PM

well said bro. if sup bro is fortunate enough to qualify, sup bro plans on bulldozing the stronger players instead of the weaker ones.

sup bro just played a double shootout to try and qualify. sup bro won his first table to make it to to the final table, where the winner would get a series seat. with nine players still left, blinds 15/30, sup bro was dealt:

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG limped
sup bro limped ?!
someone else limped, sup bro thinks it was the button, SB completed, BB checked

flop came something like:

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bet 90
sup bro called ?!?!
fold
fold
fold

turn:

J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bet 240
sup bro raised to 480

UTG takes a while, sup bro is sure he is folding, but he moves for his last 900? or so

sup bro calls

UTG turned over A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

river was a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

sup bro still had a few hundred left, until sup bro's AK lost to 88. sup bro thinks the man is trying to keep him down bro, but sup bro will never give up.

sup bro?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM

bro, sup bro knows the only pancakes you had were at the waffle house on sunday mornings. if you tried to block sup bro, you would get flagged for holding and sup bro would still make the tackle for a loss.

sup bro?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When will it be a manageable number? You'll have to have 1/4 to 1/2 of a million in chips to be an average stack and facing a "manageable number" of players.

The key is to not bluff players who won't be bluffed, but to value bet them. Daniel made that mistake, and he knows it. So do some other players who made that mistake. I'm guilty of this myself sometimes, trying to bluff a player when I know their hand is pretty weak, but not making myself realize that this guy will call with that pocket pair of 6s when I push in on a flop of 4h9dJs (while holding AK).

The smart players do not merely survive the first couple of days, they use them to accummulate chips while there are still a lot of really weak players left in the field. They merely have to remember to accummulate chips intelligently, and not by trying to bulldoze the weak players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I meant. I didn't mean the bigger names would play completely tight and wait for the amateurs to drop, but rather that they would play a little smarter than last year and, as cliche as it is, pick their spots. Obviously, trying to bully and bluff their way to the final table didn't work.

Speaking of the Main Event, have you qualified yet Greg?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:54 PM

You don't need to qualify, just show up with $10,000. However, I do hope to win several seats on PS, since it's essentially the same as winning $10,000 cash for each one.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:59 PM

Good Luck Greg, Just stay a Gentleman , unlike Josh A.

Did you get some new glasses ? heh
Old 03-23-2005, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need to qualify, just show up with $10,000. However, I do hope to win several seats on PS, since it's essentially the same as winning $10,000 cash for each one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I overheard you say at Rincon that you were a PStars employee (sort of) now so maybe you can answer my question. I won a main event seat on UB but really want to win more seats to play in the pre-lim events but pretty much every site seems to insist that I play the main event.
If I win a 10k seat on PStars will they let me play prelim events with the money? Can I only cash out the second, third, etc. wins? Any suggestions?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:13 PM

I'm 21 and will be playing. I definately think if we see someone 21-24 years of age win the thing this year it will possibly extend the poker boom even further as the 18-20 year olds start dreaming of millions. I will gladly take the lead at the 21 year old to win it if need be. Although right now my only goal is to cash.
~Justin