Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 09:20 PM

Default ESPN WSOP PLO coverage

Anybody else watching this?

Phils push on the river with 3s full was pretty bad, IMO. Also, Cunninghams 3-raise on the AAK66 flushed board with just AQ is amazingly bad.

Not sure what I think of Williamson's smoothcall there, I think he gets the rest of my chips if he has quads there. . .
Old 09-27-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: ESPN WSOP PLO coverage

Gotta wait for the torrent.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:33 PM

Living in Poland sucks, eh?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 PM

I'm hoping to grab the torrent too....I need to screencap the "D-O-N-K-E-Y" during the spelling bee.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else watching this?

Phils push on the river with 3s full was pretty bad, IMO. Also, Cunninghams 3-raise on the AAK66 flushed board with just AQ is amazingly bad.

Not sure what I think of Williamson's smoothcall there, I think he gets the rest of my chips if he has quads there. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Just watched it even though I don't play tourneys myself. Yea Helldonk's push was terrible. He only gets played with if beat but doesn't make any more when he's ahead by inducing a bluff or a bet by a worse hand. I imagine Cunningham thought he was making a resteal although with that many people in and a hand checked to the river I wouldn't think it had much chance of success. I think only the fact that there was 3 way interest slowed Williamson down.

But what I didn't like about Williamson is what he went out in 2nd with. He should have known that if he just smoothcalled Ivy with that QQx on the flop that Ivy would not bluff off any more chips on the turn if he was only bluffing the flop. So I think he should have minraised to see where he was at. A reraise or smoothcall by Ivy should then have alerted him to a trap situation. It's true that it was headsup, but given enough hands a trap situation is likely to occur sometime.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:55 AM

The blinds are a little too high at this point to fold that hand. All he could do was to keep it as cheap as possible and not let it be the hand that broke him. This is still late-end tournament poker, there isn't the room to make moves like that. Ivey would have likely called any play made my Williamson.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:03 AM

I fully expect to hear the term cooler over and over and over now.

Melch
Old 09-28-2005, 03:52 AM

That was a damn cooler!
Old 09-28-2005, 09:01 AM

I sat there and watched a game that was very different than the PLO that I play. The opening few hands made absolutely no sense at all. I couldn't understand what standards those guys were using for starting hands or that they were calling with hands I'd muck in a second. Of course Norman yelling "he has AK suited and two other cards" doesn't help.

As has become typical on ESPN, when the game is not holdem, the typical viewer who has no understanding of the game will be very confused and go watch Seinfeld reruns. They showed so few hands because they has to use the time for such interesting things as the spelling bee, a C movie actress (well sort of an actress) winning the girls only event, lots of interviews of players talking about other players and as always Phil being Phil.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 AM

Yeah that play by cunningham was just incredibly bad.

I thought the set v. set v. set v. nut flush draw hand was fun to watch though.