Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Posting a hand history (no content)

No content here...just walking myself through the process of hand history conversion/posting, which I haven't done before. There's nothing terribly interesting here...just a hand from last night that I think I played pretty well, then a moron got lucky on river with his gutshot draw. If there is something here worthwhile to point out, please feel free to comment.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero raises, MP2 (Villain) 3-bets, 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls, Hero caps, MP2 (Villain) calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (17 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, UTG bets, Hero calls, Villain calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, Villain calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Villain bets, SB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

edit: btw, when I said the "moron got lucky with his gutshot", I mean he was holding flippin' 65o, not QT (that might have been a little more understandable).
Old 09-16-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Posting a hand history (no content)

Raise (and cap if reraised)the flop. There are too many drawing hands that can crush you. Make them pay to catch....
Old 09-16-2005, 04:49 PM

Don't slowplay in huge pots like this. Had you raised the flop it would have been two bets to Villain who might have folded.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't slowplay in huge pots like this. Had you raised the flop it would have been two bets to Villain who might have folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. I don't know why the guy was in there, but the pot was so big he was actually getting the right odds to call from the flop on. Ouch.

Regards,

T
Old 09-16-2005, 04:57 PM

Yes, you're right. I should have jacked it hard. As it turns out, the SB had pocket 99; he certainly would have capped it with me, and that might (should) have driven Mr 65o out. I got greedy though, and went for the flop slowplay so I could jack it up on the turn with big bets. I did register the straight and flush threats at the time, but rationalized that I would have 10 redraw outs to make boat or quads by river IF those draws made it.

I recognize now that was pretty flawed thinking...lesson learned.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:02 PM

I don't know if I raise here either. You are so far ahead here and a raise will only make those guys who are completely out of the running fold. If you raise your giving the guy 9 to one on his gutshot, so he's close to getting correct odds (with implied) on his draw (although he is drawing to the low end). With a big pot like this I think you usually go for a raise but not with the intention of getting guys to fold, rather, raising for value. In this particular case I think it's very close between a raise and a fold.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly. I don't know why the guy was in there, but the pot was so big he was actually getting the right odds to call from the flop on. Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the betting went I don't think he got the odds to call the two bets on the turn. It was raised to him so he got little under 7-1 and he was by no means drawing to the nuts since he would have lost to anyone holding a ten.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I raise here either. You are so far ahead here and a raise will only make those guys who are completely out of the running fold. If you raise your giving the guy 9 to one on his gutshot, so he's close to getting correct odds (with implied) on his draw (although he is drawing to the low end). With a big pot like this I think you usually go for a raise but not with the intention of getting guys to fold, rather, raising for value. In this particular case I think it's very close between a raise and a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hands you would like to get to fold are the straight draws. OE draws are not going to fold for 2 bets, but the rest might.

As for driving out other players I don't know. Assume we just call the flop and noone else raises, we are definitely going to raise the turn. Those holding nothing are not going to call two. I think the profit of possibly driving gutshot draws out of this pot is greater than the small profit gained by calling (and increasing the risk of losing the pot).
Old 09-16-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hands you would like to get to fold are the straight draws. OE draws are not going to fold for 2 bets, but the rest might.

As for driving out other players I don't know. Assume we just call the flop and noone else raises, we are definitely going to raise the turn. Those holding nothing are not going to call two. I think the profit of possibly driving gutshot draws out of this pot is greater than the small profit gained by calling (and increasing the risk of losing the pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually on rereading the hand a raise will give him 10 to one to call so with implied odds it's probably a pretty easy call for him. We started on the flop with 17 sb's, with one bet to you it's 18 if you raise everyone's getting 20 to one to call two bets. You aren't protecting your hand against even gutshots. I think that it's pretty close here between a raise and a call. You want the hopless bottom pair guys calling for one and not driving them out for two.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:23 AM

Thanks for the comments, I guess there was something here worthy of discussion after all. All I was doing was practicing using the converter and posting a hand.

I see the merits of the different perspectives. I personally think, however, that guy would have called 3 bets cold on the flop (I'm saying this in retrospect, not what I was thinking at the time). I also think that pot and implied odds didn't really factor into his decision...he was simply chasing with a lousy hand and got lucky. Anyone playing poker even remotely by the numbers wouldn't have been in a capped pot with 65o (and oh yeah, he wasn't dragged into it a bet at a time...HE's the one who 3-bet it).

All of which is just saying...I don't think it mattered what I did on the flop with regard to influencing him to fold. My mistake, however, was not getting more money in the pot when I could, knowing that I'd get even more in later.

reason; I didn't have much of a read on him before the hand. I sure do NOW, though...and THIS guy's on my buddy list!