Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: From which movie is this scene taken ?
PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE : Scene deleted by Ed Wood because it was too tacky 9 33.33%
WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH : The dinosaurs are in session. (In disguise.) 7 25.93%
THE TERMINATOR : A cyborg nightmare 2 7.41%
WAR OF THE WORLDS : The Martians' Supreme Council 9 33.33%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: If you were me..............

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as how long can I go without hating my decision, I really don't know. I have enjoyed the challenge that poker has presented, and I have had some success. It has been harder to convice myself NOT to play, than to play, but I have made myself take days off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This paragraph is very telling. First of all it says to me that you've already made up your mind, and secondly the fact that you say, "it is been hard to convince yourself NOT to play, than to play," tells me that you're addicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a competetive runner, I often had to force myself to take a day off. Does that mean I am addicted or just driven?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as how long can I go without hating my decision, I really don't know. I have enjoyed the challenge that poker has presented, and I have had some success. It has been harder to convice myself NOT to play, than to play, but I have made myself take days off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This paragraph is very telling. First of all it says to me that you've already made up your mind, and secondly the fact that you say, "it is been hard to convince yourself NOT to play, than to play," tells me that you're addicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a competetive runner, I often had to force myself to take a day off. Does that mean I am addicted or just driven?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. And additiction is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 AM

Ok, we've established that you can 100% return to work. But here's the question... would you?

Let's assume that after taxes, paying for benefits, etc., you make exactly the same as teaching, or a little more. And let's assume you enjoy it more than teaching. Would you go back? I would think you should. Job security, benefits (for family as well, if/when that comes into play), and retirement options. Giving up that job would be a bad move, I would think.

I voted for "Teach, and it's not even close." I think you have a good thing going, and with summer, weekends, holidays, etc., you can still play regularly while still having "you time". Heck, you can even play in the evening if you don't load the kids up with too much homework.

You have a good thing going, and I can't think of a reason that I, if in the same situation (even though I don't know all the details), that I would give up the job.

P.S. - Bonus points for teaching Physics.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, we've established that you can 100% return to work. But here's the question... would you?

Let's assume that after taxes, paying for benefits, etc., you make exactly the same as teaching, or a little more. And let's assume you enjoy it more than teaching. Would you go back? I would think you should. Job security, benefits (for family as well, if/when that comes into play), and retirement options. Giving up that job would be a bad move, I would think.

I voted for "Teach, and it's not even close." I think you have a good thing going, and with summer, weekends, holidays, etc., you can still play regularly while still having "you time". Heck, you can even play in the evening if you don't load the kids up with too much homework.

You have a good thing going, and I can't think of a reason that I, if in the same situation (even though I don't know all the details), that I would give up the job.

P.S. - Bonus points for teaching Physics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I have no intention of being a professional poker player for the rest of my life. My leave is for one year, and one year is all i would take. Now, if I won the WSOP of poker, that would be one thing, but that's not gonna happen. (And if it did, I wouldn't have to play anymore, would I? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Even if I won 150K, I realize that this poker boom won't last forever. I'd just save it. I have learned to live modestly after teaching for 9 years, so I don't need lotsa $$$. I also realize the value of the job security, which IMO one cannot put a price on.

It should be noted that teaching 9th graders can take more out of you than most people seem to realize.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of it this way. If you play poker for a living, what are you going to do for fun? Teach the occasional night class? I don't think so.

This is wierd. It's not like he doesn't have other entertaintment options other than poker. He'll do those in all the extra hours he has when he isn't playing poker for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't read the whole lengthy thread.
Just stopping at this part (only on page 2) with the idiotic comment that he won't have anything to do for fun.

I'm in one of those Jon Stewart, "Whaaaaaaaaa??" modes just trying to figure out how to respond to this.

Some ideas for fun might include:
- going out with friends
- going to the movies
- drinking
- having sex
- playing tiddly-winks
- having sex WHILE playing tiddly-winks
- playing the accordion
- having sex while playing tiddly-winks AND the accordion

Strangely enough...the prospects of 'fun' for each of these activities is exactly the same for those who don't play poker professionally as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post. I have no intention of being a professional poker player for the rest of my life. My leave is for one year, and one year is all i would take. Now, if I won the WSOP of poker, that would be one thing, but that's not gonna happen. (And if it did, I wouldn't have to play anymore, would I? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Even if I won 150K, I realize that this poker boom won't last forever. I'd just save it. I have learned to live modestly after teaching for 9 years, so I don't need lotsa $$$. I also realize the value of the job security, which IMO one cannot put a price on.

It should be noted that teaching 9th graders can take more out of you than most people seem to realize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then go for it. The situation will never be as ideal as it is now. If nothing else, it's a story to tell. "Grandpa! Were you really a professional poker player?!"
Old 07-20-2005, 01:30 AM

Do both you lazy [censored].
Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do both you lazy [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:30 AM

I say live the dream for a year!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:04 AM

I chose teach but it's close.

It was close only because you are single plus have 1000BB bankroll and 5 months living expenses set aside.

I think you are 1 year away from attempting poker as a living. Why?

35 hours each week for 45 weeks is MUCH more difficult to sustain than most people realize. 25 hours each week is a more reasonable goal. When you add time to study and read the forums it quickly becomes a 40 hour work week.

Think of rakeback as a way to pay your taxes on winnings, not as income.

"I have 30K hands at 2/4, 70K at 3/6, and 60K at 5/10 6max. I am over 1bb/100 total." You have 160K hands total and only 60K at 5/10. 60K at 5/10 means little. 150-200K hands at 6max 5/10 & up is a better indication of how well you can beat the game. it is also long enough to experience some horrendous swings and see how you handle them.

WarBus