Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Change of pace - Donk bet vs. TAG

Villan in the hand is overly aggressive. No stats on him but he 3bet my turn checkraise w/ AQ on a board of A T 9 4 in a previous hand. I decided to play this hand differently than I normally would.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

I am interested in some thoughts about this play. I would have prefered a blank on the turn, but still followed through with the plan.

Haupt_234
Old 09-07-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Change of pace - Donk bet vs. TAG

I would just checkraise the flop. You will get maximum value out of a T or J that way. Plus, while you might win 1 SB less versus checkraising the turn versus an ace, you make up for that when he raises you on the turn with 2-pair or an overly aggressive Ace. Villian will believe he is ahead of many hands that you are checkraising here and will likely play back at you on the turn with these hands. A flop CR is the best way to hide your monster hand, IMO

I don't like the donkbet here because there are too many reasons for villian to just call your donkbet. I think you should have rethought the turn and just checkraised. It looks like it worked out for you.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Change of pace - Donk bet vs. TAG

I think this was fine. Sounds like you put a read to good use. getting to 3 bet the turn puts just as many bets in the pot as if you had checkraised the flop, got 3 bet, and then checkraised the turn.

Against an aggro player, I like it when the turn card pairs, as lots of times they raise because they know that card didnt help you, and how dare you donk bet a turn pair when I have TP! Altho I like it when it pairs a card that might not give him a fullhouse, but whatever [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]