Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Party Shootouts?

http://www.partypoker.com/games/tour.../shootout.html

This looks interesting. I haven't seen anyone post about these after searching around for awhile, so I think this may be the first time it's posted. Basically, Party is preparing to launch cash tourneys setup roughly like the Stars WSOP Shootouts.

In party's system, though, the top 3 of each round advance, take their current chips to the next level, are given a flat additional amount of chips, and are paid immediately for placing in each round. They also promise to be faster than standard MTTs, with every level being 10 minutes long. Another difference is that, should a 4th round be required, based on the number of entries, it will from there on out be the same as a MTT, with standard MTT payout structure and multiple tables vying for the rest of the prize pool.

The starting blinds at each level changes according to the sliding scale in the link above. There's also a nifty calculator to determine how much money each place gets you in each round.

If you were to pull off an unlikely clean sweep in a $20 120 entry shootout, winning all 4 rounds outright, you would make (45 + 67.5 + 81 + 120) = $313.50.

What does everyone think about these? Who benefits from this sort of structure the most? The only thing that pops out at me immediately is that many are likely to be ultra timid on the bubble, since not only are you paid for placing but you also get a shot at, essentially, another tourney. Aggression on the bubble should be very +EV. Other than that I'm not sure.

Thoughts?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Party Shootouts?

Looks somewhat interesting. though I don't know if I like the payout structure.

3rd place money for being ITM, if you're first you have more of an advantage next round, where if you finish 3rd or better, now you get second place money (in SnG $20 buyin terms), third one you finish in the top 3, you get close to first place money, then some more.

I think the pay structure stinks. Personally.

Edit: I'd rather see a one winner per table structure.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pay structure stinks. Personally.

Edit: I'd rather see a one winner per table structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Glad to see Party is actually at work, though.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:10 PM

Yes, definitely. WTA each round would definitely benefit a solid, aggressive player.

So, would these be worth playing at all? Is this more or less EV than playing say, 3-4 SNGs at the same level? In the $20 example, you have to win all 4 rounds to make a little more than you would win by winning 3 $20+2 SNGs. You're only paying the rake once, but then again I'm not sure what the rake is so I guess we can't consider that an advantage as yet. I'm also unsure as to how long it would take to complete, which could factor into the equation.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:12 PM

These def. don't compensate for SNGs. If I ever played them, it would just be for the hell of it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:27 PM

I found this somewhat interesting

[ QUOTE ]
How many chips will I have to start each round?

All players will begin the tournament with 1,000 chips. At the beginning of each round each player will have the same number of chips added to their total. The number of chips that are added for each round are as follows:

2nd round additional chips - 800
3rd round additional chips - 3,000
4th round additional chips - 8,000

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmmmm

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 07-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I should've emphasized that more in the first post. If you've got a good chip lead in the first round, you'll be in great shape to win the next and so on, which is obviously better than simply playing 3-4 individual SNGs with everyone starting at square 1. Does that plus savings in rake and possibly quicker completion make up for the crappy pay structure?

I'm still on the fence. I'm thinking at worst it's a lower risk/lower reward alternative to MTTs, but probably not a real alternative to SNGs. At best... I don't know, really. I probably won't have my mind made up until they start rolling them out.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:42 PM

Could someone please copy the text from the Party website onto here? I'm at work and Party is blocked [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Thanks.