Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Ever went broke?

Well I didn't quite go broke, but I worked at the county fair again for 3 weeks instead of playing poker last summer because I got so poor.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:53 AM

man where is that video from, hope thats not you...
Old 05-22-2005, 01:16 AM

haha the county fair? that's awesome. what'd you do?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:46 PM

I haven't yet but I can see how it could happen when you first start out.

I had read SSH but hadn't started reading the 2+2 messageboards when I started. A couple of months ago, I deposited $250 in Stars and thought I could start right away at 1/2 (under bankrolled but ignorant of that fact). After two sessions at 1/2 I was down to $140 and realized that I was in over my head. The guys at the tables at during those sessions were probably writing my name down for future reference. :-)

About that time, I started reading the 2+2 forums and realized that I had a lot of work to do on my game (and it will be a continuous project). I started rereading SSH over and over and I dropped all down all the way to the .05/.10 tables for three or four weeks. Got a little confidence and my bank roll up to $150 and then moved up to the .25/.30 tables. I've got my bankroll back up to $230 and it is slowly increasing. When my bankroll is well above $300, I will move up to .50/1. But if I have some bad sessions, I will move back down and build the bankroll back up and then try again. That's my plan anyway.

Anyway, I think with proper bankroll maintenance and moving up and down (especially down) when it is indicated, the chances of going completely broke are very low. Of course, my experience is limit poker. No limit is probably an entirely different matter.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:16 PM

Has anyone actually gone broke?........ YES
Have you quit poker?...... took a break.
Have you rebuilt?......YES
Were you properly bankrolled at the time?.....NO

I went broke a couple of times when I was fairly new to the game. They were some of the best lessons I have learned about how not to play the game.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:20 AM

I think I'm the only moron around here to lose a bankroll of greater than $5k.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha the county fair? that's awesome. what'd you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked at australian battered potatoes in the morning and then at just a sandwich place in the nights. From leaving my house to getting home, I was gone about 70-75 hours a week in the 6 days the fair is open a week.

It was my 6th year working at the potato place, so I didn't mind, and the sandwich place is the same company that does the food for the del mar race track, and I worked that 2 years ago so I knew everybody.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 AM

Hey Sponge Man..........
I use to work at 1 potato 2 at the mall of america. Hehehe.. My first day on the job..i was so FUBAR from a frat party the night before, that my friends and I threw up all over the parkin lot-b4 we hit work-Yay! .....Spuds R Us! BTW I would really love to see those Zoolander fotos... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 02:16 AM

I think I'm the only moron around here to lose a bankroll of greater than $5k.

I didn't lose a $5K BR but I did lose a $4K BR in one session. I was getting payed from my contract in a few days but that was delayed, so I lived on day old bagels and 99 cent burgers for a week (I was too ashamed to ask my friends for money since they all knew about my big wins). Needless to say I haven't been broke since then.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:41 AM

I ve gone broke twice i believe on 2 deposits of 50 bucks each at party. Then i got fed up playin 50/1 tables and deposited 200 dollars into party. this is after reading winning low limit he, kriegers book and then Ed millers SSH. I was beggining to think that noone beats this game or at least very gifted people and thouhgt that these books were just a sham and figured that if these people writing them could play poker they wouldnt have to write books. So i decided to play 2/4 with the 200 dollar deposit and figured this was the last dposit id ever make. I would really just quit poker for good (at least online not casual home games)if i went broke this time. Well obviosly i didnt go broke ive actually built my bankroll up to 3K since feb 1 and havnt played below 2/4 except when trying to clear bonuses. Dont listen to people that dont know anything that there talking about. Sure anything is possible i had a week where I droppd bout 600 bucks (worst since feb)anyone can have bad luck but by having a BR thats big enough for the games u play it reduces that chance the bigger it is the better. MOst recommend at least 300 bb for the limit u play. And i emphasize at LEAST this amount. I got lucky with my deposit and could have easilly gone broke. Of course all this doesnt matter if ur not consistently making correct decisions at the table. I f ur not extremely confident that ur a winning player in the long run (at least for the limit u play ) then its simple u will go broke.
good luck