Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-27-2005, 04:18 PM

Default What does \"straddling\" mean?

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not lazy -- I've searched and found the definition on various poker sites, but I'm just not understanding it maybe. It sounds like it's just a blind raise from UTG. Is that right? Or is there something more to it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: What does \"straddling\" mean?

UTG also gets to act last preflop.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG also gets to act last preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it a "rule of poker", or more of a house rule?

Also, you say a straddler can act last. Well let's say I'm UTG and straddle. There are only callers (no raisers). Can I then raise, or do I not get the option since I already, in essence, raised when I straddled?

Does a straddler act last just pre-flop or always? (Edit: nevermind this question, you answered it already.)

How does the dealer know you are straddling and not simply raising?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:49 PM

Yes, you have the option to raise when it gets back to you. The straddler acts last preflop only.

The dealer will know because you put it out before any cards are dealt - that's important. The dealer will usually say "Live straddle". If he doesn't, you might want to point it out, though I've rarely seen a dealer miss it.

Of course, straddling is a gambooler move, and not generally a good one unless you're trying to loosen up a bunch of tighties.

Regards,

T
Old 12-27-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, straddling is a gambooler move, and not generally a good one unless you're trying to loosen up a bunch of tighties.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what I've read. I just wanted to make sure I understand the concept of it correctly. Thanks for the reply! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it a "rule of poker", or more of a house rule?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a "house rule" in the sense that it is not universally allowed ( a blind raise is allowed [how can you stop it?], but it is not "live" ).
Old 12-27-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a "house rule" in the sense that it is not universally allowed ( a blind raise is allowed [how can you stop it?], but it is not "live" ).

[/ QUOTE ]

For example, throughout Atlantic City I believe the straddle is not allowed (or not supposed to be), so the would-be straddler has to raise blind without the automatic option to reraise.

But I'd consider the straddle a "rule of poker" in the sense that everywhere live straddles are allowed, they function pretty much the same way.