Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Best way to play insane 1-3/2-4/3-6 games

I've been frequenting turningstone at school because I go to school in the middle of nowhere and love poker. It seems that even going up to the 3/6 games there is still insanity in terms of the players. This has made me decide to play 1-3 because the blinds are so effin cheap I can really wait to pick my battles and the pots that can be taken down are like 50$+. Albeit I've had the discussion numerous times with friends that the game isn't beatable, part of playing is for fun. I believe an ultra conservative approach is the best way to take this game down with the blinds being so low. I often find myself bleeding out a lot in the higher limit games and risking more to not win as much as I notice raising is less frequent. I don't like NL, but I heard thats a great source of cash at that place. Any opinion or discussion on modified strategies would be interesting [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Im aware this may have some B&M ness to it, but it's more of a discussion on playing 1-3 games in general.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Best way to play insane 1-3/2-4/3-6 games

Play tight. Wait for good hands preflop. Don't get carried away if you miss the flop, as you have no fold equity. When you do hit flop crush opponents.

Rinse. Repeat
Old 09-06-2005, 01:50 PM

In a 1-3 spread limit game playing ultra tight is not, by any means at all, the best approach. If you have not read Small Stakes Hold 'Em I would highly suggest that. If not, you can go to the mircolimit forum and at the very least find a preflop chart for hands in loose games.

With a one dollar blind and being able to bet up to 3 dollars on every street, your implied odds are so much higher than they would be in a standard 1/2 game. As a result you want to play a lot more speculative hands. When you miss, you forfeit 1 dollar to see the flop. When you hit a profitable draw, or make a set, you will get paid off far more than your fair share.

Thus, I would highly reccommend playing more hands like J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]X [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and all pocket pairs. Make sure, however, that you do not cold call preflop with all of these hands, except in certain circumstances.

You will want to raise for value more often on the flop. i.e. you flop a four flush and its bet, and 4 calls to you. You have a 33% chance of improving before the river and 5 people who will put in a bit. on average you will win 33% of 5 bets for you 1 bet. The concept of pot equity.

Value bet your made hands much more often as these loose players will pay you off.

Also, high offsuited cards have a diminished value because of the aforementioned circumstances. Always raise AK, but hands like KQo will not have hte same value they do in a tight standard limit game.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play tight. Wait for good hands preflop. Don't get carried away if you miss the flop, as you have no fold equity. When you do hit flop crush opponents.

Rinse. Repeat

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not sound advice at ALL!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rinse. Repeat

[/ QUOTE ]

best advice: dont listen to that guy.

rj