Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-30-2005, 03:51 AM

Default Re: How did you choose your career (semi-long)

^^^I'm actually his top collector right now [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

So, I work @ Taco~Bell during senior year in high school get promoted to night manager after 2 1/2 months got tired of that BS.

Went to work for a car dealer as a lot attendant where i learned to drive manual trans. after many failed attempts at people shwoing me i grabbed a Golf and had at it. Later the same style car I come to love plus + turbo pretty much cost me my job since I crash it after working there about 4 months they try to charge me $4000 or so for repairs i told them thats what the insurance they have is for since i was on the job and they refuse and threaten to take from my pay so I just up and quit.

Got a job @ Wal-Mart working in electronics (most of my female relatives have worked there so I was already well known) 3 months in I become night shift supervisor (more of a hey your our electronics bitch at night we need you to run this joint for big movie premiers and video games and such) so i get tired of that stuff after almost a year was i believe 11 months and a few weeks i get offered a job with the government.

I work highway construction as a laborer for the government working to expand the 95 here in Vegas. Make hella bank buy a car, buy tons of other crap i mean hell i was makeing a lil over $900 a week [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], The jobs ends. They want to send me to Arizona and Alaska soon after. I dont wanna move so I cash out my pension and got a job at McCarren Airport.

Worked @ AVIS-Rent-A-Car as a customer service rep. I started doing preffered customers but i hated it so just went to regyular peoples since they are less jack asses. I rent them cars, take returns and do a minor wash her and there. Make mad bank with all the OT. Girl @ work tells me i have the best attitude for a bill colllector i had never thought of it and she told me to apply so i told her to pick an ad out for me and i would apply. She gets me an email address i then email my resume...

Now, Im working for the past 4 months @ the collections agency that Mr. Gamblegamble runs, where I a single rookie collector with no experience whatsoever has taken the spot of #1 collector in our office. Out collecting people who act so bad ass comeing out of training just because they have collected for 8 or 9 years. When they see a young guy with no experience own them I must say it brings a smile to my face.

But as far as a career I hope to establish myself in this company and if that doesnt happen well I will go wherever life takes me next.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:01 AM

What is a collection agency?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:09 AM

I took a computer arts class in high school, really liked what I was doing, found an art school through the class, went to art school, switched majors from special FX to design, and that's that.

By the way I reccomend everyone try to work for a design company, even if you're on the business side or an IT guy. It is the chillest industry to work in.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lessee, I've backed into one, fell into one, gotten drunk and woke up in another, and this latest one just kind of picked me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant answer, it goes for me as well. Much better than my original response that I A) hated and B) sucked at everything else I tried.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:28 AM

i am a high school teacher. like all teachers, i am completely unqualified to do anything else, so i do the thankless work of shaping the minds of America's youth.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is a collection agency?

[/ QUOTE ]

We call deadbeats on the phone who don't pay there bills

Lotsa money if you are good at it!!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make hella bank buy a car, buy tons of other crap i mean hell i was makeing a lil over $900 a week [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img],

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the funniest thing Iv'e read on OOT but 47k a year is a lot to some people I guess!!
Old 12-31-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had two main interests growing up -- music (singing) and sports -- and also enjoyed reading and writing. So I basically looked for careers that fit, and sportswriting seemed to make the most sense. So I joined the high school paper my junior year, then took a stringing job at the local newspaper two months after graduating and got a full-time position three years later.

I don't make much money, but I love what I do, and for me that's a whole lot more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I'm a newspaper editor, and I love it. The only real drawback is the hours for me. I don't make a ton of money, but I do well enough. And besides, I'd rather enjoy what I do and make 10k or even 20k less than I would at a job I dislike.

Working on holidays isn't fun, and working until midnight some nights can be crappy, too. But I'm happy with my choice so far. (I'm almost 10 years in.)

So what paper do you work for? Are you doing mostly preps, or do you have some college/pro stuff going on?
Old 12-31-2005, 08:42 AM

I kinda wandered into it.

Finished university, went to ski bum for a year, a ski bum friend asked to to write content for affiliate websites, from there another friend offered me a job working for a poker network, now they've given me a big promotion so I'm probably sticking to the industry for a couple years at least.