Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 AM

Default My downswing

I started out with $150 and played .25/.5 limit and $5 SNGs. I worked my bankroll up to about $450, then took out $150 (so I was free of my initial investment) and moved up to .5/1 - and also started playing 2 tables at once. Once my bankroll was up to $400 again, I took out another $100 (personal reasons) and moved up to $10 SNGs - playing mostly 5-max.

Over the past month or so, my bankroll has dropped back down to $150 - so that is roughly a 150BB slide. I have now moved back to .25/.5 and am playing only one table. Also dropped down to $5 SNGs - which I have been playing more lately - especially the 2 and 3 table SNGs - since I don't have the time to play full tourneys, these are a good compromise. The only problem is that only the top 4 get paid at a 2 table and only the top 5 get paid at a 3 table - so looking at what I am playing:

5-max SNG - 2 winners of 5 - 40% ITM
full table SNG - 3 winners of 10 - 30% ITM
2 table SNG - 4 winners of 20 - 20% ITM
3 table SNG - 5 winners of 30 - 17% ITM

So you will likely finish ITM less often, but will win more money when you do.

So, to stop my downswing, I am moving down in limits and moving back to one table. I recognize that this will, once again, likely mean that my bankroll will grow fairly slowly, I think it is clear that this is the appropriate action.

In terms of why the downswing happened, there are several issues:

1) Multitabling - I have come to the conclusion that you really need a HUD to multi-table (assuming I am correct in thinking that a HUD is a display that shows how the people at the table are playing). Unless you are already quite skilled, it is simply too hard to keep track of all the betting patterns of the people at the table. With one table, you can really pay attention to how everyone is betting and can act appropriately.

Sadly, at the moment, I am playing mostly at a local internet cafe (I pay under $1.00 an hour) and so cannot use a HUD (unless there is one I don't know about that requires no download).

2) Tilting: In part because of the issue above, I am aware of several times that I played on tilt. What happened was that I became more of an "action" player - looking for reasons to play cards rather than looking for reasons to fold and chasing hands that I figured were going to wind up being second-best. A specific problem was that I was not checking enough. I would throw in bets here and there in hopes of stealing the pot when there was really only a very small chance of my opponents folding.

3 - Playing while tired - I played quite a bit in the morning and quite a bit fairly late at night and found that, at these times, I was more prone to tilting and more prone to making bad plays.

So now I am moving back to playing only 1 table for the time-being. I am also, as I said, dropping back down a step. You see, the great thing about proper bankroll management is that it means that you will usually, eventually, find yourself at the level that is appropriate for you. I moved up and clearly tried to do too much too fast. Now I am back to a level that, based on past indications, I should be able to beat quite handlily. But no matter what, it will only be as a result of success at this level that I will move up to the next level. In so doing, I am gaining more experience and playing more hands before increasing my level of competition.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: My downswing

I'm glad to hear you arrested the downswing without going broke. I wish I'd been as smart early on.

[ QUOTE ]

1) Multitabling - I have come to the conclusion that you really need a HUD to multi-table (assuming I am correct in thinking that a HUD is a display that shows how the people at the table are playing).

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct on the HUD. I think 2 tabling is usually doable without a HUD. After that I do need a HUD, but I also don't like having that "one legged man in an ass-kicking contest" feeling, so I rarely go above 2.

[ QUOTE ]

Sadly, at the moment, I am playing mostly at a local internet cafe (I pay under $1.00 an hour) and so cannot use a HUD (unless there is one I don't know about that requires no download).

[/ QUOTE ]

I know of no HUD that can be used without a download. PokerAces HUD seems to be the industry standard right now, and it requires a download. It's a great HUD if you ever get a chance to use it.

Good luck and stay focused.

Regards,

T
Old 12-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: My downswing

Thanks - its been a wild ride.