Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 12:42 PM

Default how to tell if someone is lying

not related to poker, how can you tell if someone is lying when you ask them a direct question? what are the main things i should look out for?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: how to tell if someone is lying

This is just like tells. You have to observe the individual. Some people hesitate, some blink, some look away, some stare at you, some repeat your question before they lie. Everyone is different but once you have their tell you have em cold.

Also when someone is lying they tend to be vague and try to change the subject. If you suspect someone is lying to you question them on details and whatch them squirm. It's fun.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 PM

I just bought a book about body language. Off the top of my head I can think of the eye contact thing: if they never quite look at you in the eye when they talk OR they stare dead into your eyes kinda strange-like, they're lying.

Book says:

Facial Flushing
Sweaty plams
angling away from the accuser
arm or leg cross
very fast or very slow head movements
self-touching
inability to stand still
throat clearing, stammering
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM

Yes, tells are good for picking out liars, but they'll never help you with a good bullshitter because he's not even concerned with whether he's speaking truth or falsity.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:35 PM

My mouth is moving.

One trick I have is that if you ask a question that requires a visual memory, the eyes go up and to the left for truth (because they are retrieving the memory) and don't for lies.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:39 PM

Studies have shown that most people cannot tell when someone is lying to them - even someone who they know very well.

There are several theories related to eye movements - that you move your eyes to the right when accessing memory, and to the left when accessing creative thought (aka, lying) - however, these are not really accurate as studies have shown that many people use their creative side to determine how best to tell a story - even one that is true.

For the most part, you just have to watch their body language and their reactions and see if they are consistent with what you know of them.

One big cue that someone MAY be lying is that they get angry at your questioning them.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:00 PM

from Scott Adams' (author of Dilbert) The Joy of Work:

"All you is unexpectedly ask the most direct question you can, then listen for which of the two possible approaches the person uses to respond. For example, you might say, "Did you kill your neighbor?"
Innocent people answer that sort of question by saying, "No, I didn't!" or "Are you &%#$ crazy?"
Guilty people say, "Whatever gave you that idea?" or "There's no evidence of that!" or "Did someone say I did?"
The main difference is that the guilty people are attacking the evidence, not denying the event.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:26 PM

Try this,

http://www.blifaloo.com/info/lies.php
Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One trick I have is that if you ask a question that requires a visual memory, the eyes go up and to the left for truth (because they are retrieving the memory) and don't for lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this trick real? I heard it only from a line in the movie, The Negotiator. But, maybe there's some truth in it.

-RMJ
Old 08-30-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought a book about body language. Off the top of my head I can think of the eye contact thing: if they never quite look at you in the eye when they talk OR they stare dead into your eyes kinda strange-like, they're lying.

Book says:

angling away from the accuser
arm or leg cross

self-touching
inability to stand still

[/ QUOTE ]

I can do all these things when having to deal with someone I loathe, even though I'm telling them the truth.