Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 AM

Default I get to fly hungover (semi trip report).

Ugh. So my last night in town the plan was to go out for "a couple beers and some wings" with a couple buddies.

It turned into a couple pitchers of beer and some wings and some more beer and some rye and coke, getting a bunch of phone numbers from girls (including both our waitresses [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]), nearly getting in a bunch of fights with guys (and one girl), getting asked to leave the bar, stealing a shopping cart and taking it for a joyride, and then hanging out with some drunk fifteen year olds at the back of a KFC"

So I got like 5 hours sleep, and now have the beer-squits, a blocked nose (one of the weirder hangover symptoms I get), I am hungry and vaguely nauseous, and have a slight headache.

I fly Calgary-Vancouver-London (and then have a two hour tube journey accross the city) in about 4 hours.

I am a moran. But...

I'd do it all again. Some things are more important than a few hours of comfort. I won't be seeing any of these guys for at least a few months, and probably years.

Maybe I should make some calls and see just how many of the seven phone numbers I got were real.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: I get to fly hungover (semi trip report).

[ QUOTE ]
I'd do it all again. Some things are more important than a few hours of comfort. I won't be seeing any of these guys for at least a few months, and probably years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. This is what friends are for.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should make some calls and see just how many of the seven phone numbers I got were real.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post results.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 AM

Your nose is probably getting 'blocked' because of dehydration. I'm not sure what you mean by blocked, but it's common to experience dehydration in the nose. All your boogers are probably dried up or something.

I'll give you one piece of advice: If you feel sick, try to throw up BEFORE you get on the plane. Coming back from Vegas last year, I had about 25 drinks in me from a 6-hour $2 blackjack session. The longest period of time I have ever experienced was between takeoff and when they said it was safe to move about the cabin. And it's hard as hell to puke on a plane without getting some on yourself.

I have since referred to it as Mile-High Bile.

Freakin
Old 08-30-2005, 11:22 AM

Fighting, getting thrown out of a bar, hanging out with 15 year olds, it sounds awesome...

[ QUOTE ]
have a two hour tube journey accross the city

[/ QUOTE ]

From where to where? I can't think of a 2 hour tube journey that exists.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:23 AM

An old sailor, who did almost forty years in international shipping, told me that when they would hit typhoons everyone would go below deck and get wasted. If you are going to be falling over and puking, you may as well be falling over and puking from liquor.

I like to think of airplanes in the same way. Long flights are miserable. You may as well feel miserable and have something to show for it.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and then have a two hour tube journey accross the city

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Are you planning to get lost, or just fall asleep and go backwards and forwards for two hours? Where's the end destination?

But yes, flying hungover is pretty nasty. The only thing worse would be to avoid drinking...
Old 08-30-2005, 11:35 AM

The tube journey is from Heathrow to the other end of the Picaddilly line - estimate from the guy whose house I am going two is one and a half to two hours, I'm just taking the high end of that because [censored] always goes wrong for me.

I'm off to get a frosty and a slice of pizza - breakfast of champions. Then I'm going to start calling numbers.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:38 AM

Haha. At first I read this as you were a pilot, ready to fly a commercial flight hungover, which made me worry about the passengers. Being that you're a passenger I won't worry as much.

Swede
Old 08-30-2005, 11:42 AM

Heathrow to Cockfosters takes just under an hour and a half.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The tube journey is from Heathrow to the other end of the Picaddilly line - estimate from the guy whose house I am going two is one and a half to two hours, I'm just taking the high end of that because [censored] always goes wrong for me.

I'm off to get a frosty and a slice of pizza - breakfast of champions. Then I'm going to start calling numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.5 hours is more than generous... and the Piccadilly is about the most reliable line with trains every 2-3 minutes. Maps, journey planner etc.