Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour allows questionable entry option

Here's an analogy.

You can pay $10k and play in the WSOP Main Event on Day 1.

Or you can win a satellite and show up on Day 1.

Or you can pay $50k and just show up on the last day and not have to go through all the hands and take the risks that the other finalists had to go through.

Now do you guys see the difference?
Old 10-15-2005, 05:19 PM

That is not analogous to the situation at hand. The "final round" is essentially an entire separate tournament because everyone in it starts with the same chip stack regardless of whether they qualified in the "preliminary rounds" or bought in directly. It might be confusing because of the nomenclature they are using, but think of it as the "real" tournament just being what they are calling the "final round" and the preliminary rounds just a satellite.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:28 PM

Dude if you all start with the same chip count on the second day, its like a whole new tournament. Its not like I'm hopping into Day 5 of the Main Event and getting whatever the average chip stack is. It's OK, you tried to take a stand, by now you must have realized you are wrong, no shame in admitting it, unless you want to continue the "I'm right and the world is crazy" campaign.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:28 PM

You are totally wrong. The Sunday finals is not a seperate tournament. It's the final round for those who were in the top 20% of their qualifying day. Here's the structure for this month:

Preliminary Qualifiers will be held on October 28th & 29th at 10:00am and 5:00pm.
The top 20% advance to Sunday. Final table will be televised to air at a later date.

Buy-In: $250 + $25 Entry Fee · Pay back for top 30 places!

Now here's the structure for November:

Preliminary Qualifiers will be held on November 25th & 26th at 10:00am and 5:00pm.
The top 20% advance to Sunday. Final table will be televised to air at a later date.
Buy-In: $400 + $40 Entry Fee · Pay back for top 30 places!

Direct Buy-In To Sunday's Final Is Now Available!
Buy-in to Sunday's Finals For $2,200
Available Saturday from 5:00pm until 7:45am on Sunday

The direct buy-in to Sunday sidesteps the normal qualifying round for those who pay $2200.

As Greg stated in his email to me, it's a few guys who basically admit they aren't skilled enough to qualify on Friday or Saturday who want to fork over some money to go directly to the Sunday final playoffs.

The extra money they are willing to pay is beside the point. The issue is they are getting special treatment by not having to beat 80% of the players on any particular qualifying day like the rest of us.

I'll pay $4k and just show up for the final 6 TV table. How about that? That's an extra $3600 for the prize pool and a guaranteed breakeven or better for me...
Old 10-15-2005, 05:30 PM

Tek,

You have yet to explain what the difference is between situation #1, and situation #2. If there is no difference, then this discussion has no merit. If there is a difference, I'd like to have it explained to me.

Furthermore, your main argument seems to continue to center around that you dont want people who otherwise seem incapable of qualifying, to play in the main tournament. This is akin to wanting to get rid of the fish so you can play with the experts. This is not +EV.

Isn't that why we play poker?

Nick

p.s. This one day, I had two people challenge me to 10k freezeouts HU. One of them was a donk who was still getting a grasp of the terminology "flop, turn, river" and the other was Phil Helmuth. Which should I choose? This is tough~
Old 10-15-2005, 05:33 PM

My PM to you will be my final statement on this. You are really embarrassing yourself in this thread.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:34 PM

One other point. Your argument that you should therefore be able to pay $4k and start at the FT is also flawed and illogical. If ever a tournament were to implement that, you would need to pay 1/10th (Assuming a 10 person FT) of the prize pool. Assuming 300 entrants paying $400 each, $12000 would be sufficient to buy you a place at the FT. If such a silly idea were ever implemented.

Nick
Old 10-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Okay, you guys are all correct. And the Sunday finals are just a qualifier for the final table.

I'll write out a check for $4k to go directly to the TV table. I'd like seat 3 please.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One other point. Your argument that you should therefore be able to pay $4k and start at the FT is also flawed and illogical. If ever a tournament were to implement that, you would need to pay 1/10th (Assuming a 10 person FT) of the prize pool. Assuming 300 entrants paying $400 each, $12000 would be sufficient to buy you a place at the FT. If such a silly idea were ever implemented.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Who would pay $12k for a 1st place payout of 30-40k range?

$4k would essentially guarantee a breakeven in these tournies if one busted out in 6th place.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, your main argument seems to continue to center around that you don't want people who otherwise seem incapable of qualifying, to play in the main tournament. This is akin to wanting to get rid of the fish so you can play with the experts. This is not +EV.

Isn't that why we play poker?

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

That's for each of us to decide. In bowling competition and poker as well, I play better against better competition.

I understand your argument, and for most people it may be the best (read: easy) path.