Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Johnny Chan story

[ QUOTE ]
wow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2005, 01:27 AM

good point x2 scooter - #1 chan knows his own image and how other will play against his table presence. i am sure after playing professionally for a quarter of a century it becomes more simple to put a reraiser on a given set of hands.

If the guy was convincing enough to get chan to lay down kk then his answer to his hand holdings should be equally convincing. Just curious how did the utg + 1 do at your table after he made chan lay down kk? - did utg +1 play with fps or was he value betting all the way?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One more point: Don't assume the first guy had AA if he didn't show it. My rule in poker is that if a guy tells you what he has without showing it just ignore what he said because it means absolutely nothing. I can tell you that 100% of the time if a guy lays down KK (or some other hand that is better than mine) and I'm asked what I had I will always say that it was a good laydown -- unless of course I decide to show the inferior hand. You can argue that the guy seemed sincere, etc., etc., but most poker players will lie about their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I very much agree with this. However, I will tell you that I think this guy had AA. When I said that he told us he had aces and said it "convincingly", I didn't mean he was trying to convince us. He wasn't too reluctant, but he was quiet about it, and seemed genuinely shocked when he asked Chan if he thought he could have queens.

I don't know for sure, obviously, but I was there, and I believe him.

colson10
Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 AM

Chan knows how to play, that's for sure. Given that, why does he show these laydowns? I know many 2+2ers would NEVER show these hands, including myself. I have enough problems in tournaments without giving information away. So why?

I can only think of 2 reasons:

1. Out of frustration - this doesn't seem likely, given the caliber of his play, and the fact that he basically just sat down at the table.

2. Because he feels that it will help him gain/save chips later: But how? Anyone have any ideas?

Augie
Old 07-07-2005, 01:43 AM

You forgot 3. because he is johnny chan and can make reads like these on people and they can't make the same reads on him.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:48 AM

to justify his raise and dominate in future rounds otherwise people will just think he was jacking around and rr him off of future pots
Old 07-07-2005, 01:51 AM

So, you are saying he can do this because he is so good, that the players at this table couldn't use this information to hurt him?

Or that he is the Man, and chooses to do what he likes, even if it costs him a bit in EV?

I'll say this much - after hand #1, I would probably choose to open raise w/AA after seeing that laydown.

Augie
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 AM

He has seen it all - he knows what to show and what not to show. i wonder how chan did at that table
Old 07-07-2005, 01:58 AM

Yes, I am saying he is so good he can do what he wants, If his reads are that crystal clear he is gonna have a decent read on you no matter what you do.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:36 AM

Wow.