Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the more legendary SNG player?
Gigabet 127 85.23%
Raptor 22 14.77%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Brand Spankin\' New Glock 19

I've shot my friend's 19 quite a bit. Nice gun. Never a hitch for him or me at the range or out plinking in the woods.

I've never liked the look of Glocks -- too boxy and squared for me. I prefer my Beretta 92fs which I've put around 6K rounds through at this point. It's all a matter of personal preference though and you have a nice gun so enjoy it.

And to the people who say you should have got a 40 or 45 ... just ignore them. For personal protection a 9mm will rule over a 45 for most shooters in terms of accuracy. Plus the 9mm is a ton cheaper to shoot which means you'll probably shoot it more and be better with it in the long run. As for the 9 vs 40 ... ack. Taking velocities in account the impact difference is negligable. Either caliber is fine.

Oh and I have both a 40 and 45. And I do shoot them.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Before I consider writing a response to all you awesome people who are so badass with your guns, one of you answer this:

Name one situation that you think a gun will help you in and I'm curious about the area you live in.

[/ QUOTE ]

just stay out of gun threads dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely giving this one three cheers. And this is even before I read Goblue's asinine "rebuttal" to Tony Paladino.

Some people just suck.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM

I love 45's, but do agree on two major virtues of the 9 that shouldn't be overlooked, though it's all too easy to do so. First, it's easier for the average person to handle and handle accurately. Second, the ammo is cheaper. Which leads to what's almost a third -- you're much more likely to practice with it when you know it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg. And that's very important.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think there's any correlation to the amount of guns in the populous and the amount of deaths/murders?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure how this applies. I think the current numbers go something like this: there's one gun in the USA for every person. The fact that I own one doesn't change those numbers - it just puts me in a much less powerless position when faced with a nutjob who has one of the 250 million other guns in the USA.

Its not the people with the permits and the training that you need to worry about. Even if we're gonna take it to the extremes, and start talking about crazy milita people with AR-15s and 150 guns each, they're still a whole lot less responsible for the murder rate than the (generally) poor street criminals are. They know how to use their guns, how to store their guns, what permits they need to carry their guns. And they're more likely to do things by the book, because they know the consequences if they don't.

Most of the crazy anti-gun contingent focus on the wrong people. Their idea is that guns are bad, period. I'm quite liberal in most of my politics, but the "bad guys" are armed, and I'm damn sure gonna be armed. Call it paranoia, but we don't have to look too far back in recent history to find a time where being armed gave you a huge advantage over being unarmed. To use a cliche... when guns are outlawed, only outlaws... yeah.

There's a saying I've heard many times, and it seems to ring true: "An armed populace is a polite populace." Stop concerning yourselves with the people who do it right. Start worrying about - as Rusted Corpse put it in another thread - the kid who bought a gun from his local dealer and is intent on showing everyone how "gangster" he is.

Lastly - swede, I found Glocktalk before I made any purchases, and I count that as one huge resource that I'll use from now until eternity. I read a lot about Kahrs there, but damn if that gun didn't kick a lot when I fired it. I couldnt keep the groups tight enough. Damn things were tiny [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] So, the 19 it is.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:39 PM

I have a 19-C. Aim is a bit low and to the left, but other than that, its a decent handgun. It carries well conceiled but make sure you get a good holster. Mine tended to shift too much.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Yes my point was too vague. Bottom line is I personally don't think that guns could help in any situation much (at least around where I live). I respect your right to own a gun, however it would make me feel more comfortable if less of the people around me had guns. That is all.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I consider writing a response to all you awesome people who are so badass with your guns, one of you answer this:

Name one situation that you think a gun will help you in and I'm curious about the area you live in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lib alert Lib alert....whoop whoop whoop!

Hates the idea of killing anyone / anything... unless it is an unborn child of course....
Old 11-14-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lib alert Lib alert....whoop whoop whoop!

Hates the idea of killing anyone / anything... unless it is an unborn child of course....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey - dont be like that. I am painfully liberal... and own several handguns. I also served for 10 years in the army. Please dont lump all liberals in with the whiney civil rights babies that we're so commonly equated with.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:16 PM

Heheheh.

Remember, masturbation is murder!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Can someone tell me what the laws regarding guns are in the US?

Can you just go buy a gun, or do you need a permit/licence first?

Do you have to go through any training to be allowed to own one?

Are there rules to state how you store it and where (ie. in a gun safe or something), or can you have them laying around wherever or in your car?

edit: and for the guys who carry them around concealed, what do you have to do that have that privaledge? And do you actually carry it around everywhere you go?