Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Hastert should keep his mouth shut

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/

By Bill Walsh
Washington bureau

WASHINGTON - House Speaker Dennis Hastert dropped a bombshell on flood-ravaged New Orleans on Thursday by suggesting that it isn’t sensible to rebuild the city.

"It doesn't make sense to me," Hastert told the Daily Herald in suburban Chicago in editions published today. "And it's a question that certainly we should ask."

Hastert's comments came as Congress cut short its summer recess and raced back to Washington to take up an emergency aid package expected to be $10 billion or more. Details of the legislation are still emerging, but it is expected to target critical items such as buses to evacuate the city, reinforcing existing flood protection and providing food and shelter for a growing population of refugees.

The Illinois Republican’s comments drew an immediate rebuke from Louisiana officials.

“That’s like saying we should shut down Los Angeles because it’s built in an earthquake zone,” former Sen. John Breaux, D-La., said. “Or like saying that after the Great Chicago fire of 1871, the U.S. government should have just abandoned the city.”

Hastert said that he supports an emergency bailout, but raised questions about a long-term rebuilding effort. As the most powerful voice in the Republican-controlled House, Hastert is in a position to block any legislation that he opposes.

"We help replace, we help relieve disaster," Hastert said. "But I think federal insurance and everything that goes along with it... we ought to take a second look at that."

The speaker’s comments were in stark contrast to those delivered by President Bush during an appearance this morning on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“I want the people of New Orleans to know that after rescuing them and stabilizing the situation, there will be plans in place to help this great city get back on its feet,” Bush said. “There is no doubt in my mind that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city.”

Insurance industry executives estimated that claims from the storm could range up to $19 billion. Rebuilding the city, which is more than 80 percent submerged, could cost tens of billions of dollars more, experts projected.

Hastert questioned the wisdom of rebuilding a city below sea level that will continue to be in the path of powerful hurricanes.

"You know we build Los Angeles and San Francisco on top of earthquake issures and they rebuild, too. Stubbornness," he said.

Hastert wasn't the only one questioning the rebuilding of New Orleans. The Waterbury, Conn., Republican-American newspaper wrote an editorial Wednesday entitled, "Is New Orleans worth reclaiming?"

"Americans' hearts go out to the people in Katrina's path," it said. "But if the people of New Orleans and other low-lying areas insist on living in harm's way, they ought to accept responsibility for what happens to them and their property."
Old 09-01-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Hastert should keep his mouth shut

While I might not agree with Hastert's sentiment, I see no reason why he should 'shut up'.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"It doesn't make sense to me," Hastert told the Daily Herald in suburban Chicago in editions published today. "And it's a question that certainly we should ask."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet another reason to stop depending on the government. Now they want to tell you where to live.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I might not agree with Hastert's sentiment, I see no reason why he should 'shut up'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time and place, I don't think its proper to tell the people who are now refugees "Sorry but we're not gonna rebuild your home...we're not even gonna use vasoline"
Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Time and place, I don't think its proper to tell the people who are now refugees "Sorry but we're not gonna rebuild your home...we're not even gonna use vasoline"

[/ QUOTE ]

Either way, it sounds like a reasonable discussion to have. Again, I disagree with Hastert, and I hope (and expect) the federal government will fully invest in rebuilding New Orleans - yet if the plan of action were to 'abandon' New Orleans, I assume that it's better to inform residents/former residents of that now, rather than later - so they can begin making alternate plans.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yet another reason to stop depending on the government. Now they want to tell you where to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's fair that they tell you when you live in a flood plain. I think it's wrong that they then provide flood insurance when no private insurer will. I think it would be fair to say you must find private insurance in the future.

I can guess what's going to happen here -- the feds will essentially provide insurance benefits to all residents, whether they chose to insure or not.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:27 PM

You abandon it, you have a ton of refugees with absolutely nothing, taxing other areas.

You rebuild it, you create jobs, improve the economy, and a ton of other economic benefits.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You rebuild it, you create jobs, improve the economy, and a ton of other economic benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then when it gets hit in five years, we can again reap the harvest we've sown.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:31 PM

This wouldn't have anything to do with LA having a 85% vote against Bush in 2004 would it?

Or having 2 Democrat Senators in an otherwise Red State?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then when it gets hit in five years, we can again reap the harvest we've sown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then no more building in LA, forget building in FL...hell, anything we build would get destroyed or worn down.

Excellent line of thinking