Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: When do house rules override fairness?

[ QUOTE ]
He had emphatically stated that you have to call your hand at the beginning of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I know at the beginning of the night what hands I'm going to be dealt? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 09:56 PM

To be fair, we dont have to declare the second pair...we are a lil sketchy but we are all friends...its only in really stupid situation
Old 08-29-2005, 12:49 AM

Obviously this is a stupid rule. However, I have played in games that used this and other dumb rules. Therefore, when I go to a new game I always make sure to ask if there are any special house rules in effect. Common ones are call your own hand, penalties for out-of-turn play, and other bullshit I can't think of right now.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:06 AM

You were correct. If this has never been an issue before but NOW the host calls the old, "I have a house rule stating you must call your hand." It's bullshit. You know it's bullshit, I know it's bullshit, the host knows it's bullshit. He was shooting an angle.

If this guy wants a non-standard rule like "call your hand", he really needs to post it ahead of time. I don't mind the "verbal posting" but each player needs to know about it BEFOREHAND. A pre-tourney announcement should take care of it.

Angle. Sucks he tried to pull it against a newbie.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:10 AM

If this house rule was stated, then the flush wins. If this was not clarified before the night began, cards speak.

I strongly agree with the other poster. "a printed version of the house rules should be there before the night begins for everyones reference"

[ QUOTE ]
I went to a card game the other night NLHE tourney style. Nothing major small buy in with 9 players. Now the tourney went to heads up i went out 3rd and offered to deal during the heads up. so we have the host up against a new comer to poker and weekly tourney. new guy has the host covered. the new guy hold pair of threes and the host two hearts. board comes 3h Kh 6s 6d 4h on the river the host goes allin and the new guy calls and states three of a kind 3's and the host reached for the pot. i stop him and say a full house beats a flush. new guy didnt realize he had a full house. host states my house rule says you must declare you hand correctly to win the pot. i stated told him as the dealer i declared the hand as full house and the new guy as the winner. host was upset and ended poker night at that time. this declaring rule was never stated prior to the game nor had it ever really been an issue. I have never heard that mis-declaring you hand meant you lost. if you have the best hand you have the best hand. any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2005, 05:40 AM

Cuz its the rules, dammit. Without them chaos would ensue. Incredibly stupid rule, however.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 AM

I think that all of us agree that "cards speak" is the best rule. However, the host can play whatever rules he/she wants, and declare your hand isn't isn't the worst rule we've ever seen. If 3 or 4 regulars to the game chimed in that 'declare your hand' is always the rule in this game, I'd say that the host is entitled to the pot.

However, I think your real issue is, how are disputes resolved.

In some games, the host generally resolves disputes. If, for example, this exact situation arose, and the host WAS NOT involved in the pot, I'd go with the host's ruling about what the house rules are, even if it overrides the dealer.

I've never seen a situation, though where the host IS involved in the pot and gets to also rule on the hand. Frankly, anyone who tries to do this is an ass. In this case, the decision has to be made by some party who doesn't have an interest in the pot. Whether it's the dealer, or the other regular players to the game, doesn't matter, but the host can't rule on matters where he has a direct interest.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:24 PM

Agreed- you suck as a host if you're making decisions about your own hand, that aren't written down.

If arbitration is needed, uninvolved parties should be deciding.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:12 PM

We have a few new players at each of our games, some who haven't played hold em before or only very limited.

We take the high road and let the best hand win, even if the person didn't know it.

It was one of the new guys turn to deal and I saw the burn card as he exposed it (I was sitting directly across the table). No one else saw it, but I made him turn it up for everyone to keep the game fair.

No one goes home pissed off or feeling cheated.