Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2004, 01:40 PM

Default turn AKo.

TURN PLAY

AsKc hand in a fiarly loose and poor playing game...one guy on a cell phone commenting that this game is "harder to beat than AC" and i just laughed on the inside.

1 limper to me i raise sb (call him D. who'se kinda loose on a short stack) calls limper calls.

flop is QhQd5h. both check i bet sb calls.

turn is 6d, checked to me i check??.

usually i bet here to prevent giving a flush draw a free card to hit but i decided against it because i wouldn't want to bet if he had a 5 a q or any pair. i'd be raised witht he q and called when i had the worst of it with a 5 with only a few outs. but if he has that draw he's getting unacceptable (from my standpoint) odds to draw if i check (i.e. i gave him infinite odds).

so i really felt i should have bet here but checked.

thoughts
-Barron
Old 06-01-2004, 01:52 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: turn AKo.

i would rather bet and fold to a raise here. you are facing a potential multitude of 6-outers in addition to the already-mentioned flush draw. you have no reason to believe your hand is not best.

as a general rule, i don't check the turn when i'll be tempted to call the river unimproved.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:01 PM

Headsup with position I bet this turn most of the time. If he calls I will check behind on the river.

When you check it through on the turn in this spot, which screams weakness since you're headsup, what is your plan when/if he bets into you on the river? Betting the turn gives you a shot to take it down right there, it charges the flush draws and keeps you out of a guessing game on the river. If you are checkraised on the turn or bet into on the river after showing this much aggression, I believe you can lay it down. Thats why I bet it.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:11 PM

Depends on whether D is passive or aggressive and if he's the type of loose that will call a QQ5 flop w/ ATo or really does have a hand that justifies a call here (namely a pair, flush draw, or Q). If he's the type that will fire on the river after you checked the turn, check and pick up a bet on the end from a bluff. If not bet the turn and hope for a free showdown.