Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Fair Price for Brake Work?

I an very car ignorant and want to know if I am being taken. I'm having front and back brakes done, pads and rotors and I was told the drums were leaking also. This is all gibberish to me. The car is a 2000 Chrysler Sebring and has about 97,000 miles on it. Ballpark price to have all of this done?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Fair Price for Brake Work?

I don't know.

But I know that it's a big enough job that you need to shop around for an estimate.

I'm guessing $500-1000.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I an very car ignorant and want to know if I am being taken. I'm having front and back brakes done, pads and rotors and I was told the drums were leaking also. This is all gibberish to me. The car is a 2000 Chrysler Sebring and has about 97,000 miles on it. Ballpark price to have all of this done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they turning the rotors, or replaceing them. That is were a large chunk of change will go (for replacements).
Old 08-11-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they turning the rotors, or replaceing them. That is were a large chunk of change will go (for replacements).

[/ QUOTE ]

Replacing. And to the person who said to shop around, good idea but not an option work is already being done.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was told the drums were leaking also

[/ QUOTE ]

Drums don't leak. Perhaps they said calipers, or wheel cylinders if you have drum brakes on the back?

Just for pads and rotors on all 4 wheels, on a newer car, I would say that $700 isn't out of line, give or take 100, depending on the labor rates in your area.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 PM

$800 for replace rotors and pads all around. add some for replacement of calipers.

I think it would have been wise to ask "how much?" at the place doing the work before the work was done, instead of asking here after the work was started.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$800 for replace rotors and pads all around. add some for replacement of calipers.

I think it would have been wise to ask "how much?" at the place doing the work before the work was done, instead of asking here after the work was started.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify, I did ask how much before it was started, that was before I posted the thread.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:08 PM

i had all 4 pads replaced P&L came to $250.

I had a friend of mine do it, so he charged me 50 axl.

Rotors on the other hand are more expensive than pads. They shoudl still only run about 100/pair.

I dont know if its necessary to cut new rotors with new pads being put on. I'd say you're getting a deal at the end of it between 600 and 800, and getting ripped off at anything higher.

its not at the dealer is it? the dealer had quoted me 1250 for P&L.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i had all 4 pads replaced P&L came to $250.

I had a friend of mine do it, so he charged me 50 axl.

Rotors on the other hand are more expensive than pads. They shoudl still only run about 100/pair.

I dont know if its necessary to cut new rotors with new pads being put on. I'd say you're getting a deal at the end of it between 600 and 800, and getting ripped off at anything higher.

its not at the dealer is it? the dealer had quoted me 1250 for P&L.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is at the dealer and my quote is very similar.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:34 PM

Why don't you take your car to a reliable independent shop? Brakes pads are cheap, maybe like $30 each, and rotors are like $100 each. Shouldn't take more than an hour to replace them. 4(30+100) + $65 service = $585. Well, this would be the estimated cost for my 98 Accord in the Upstate NY region (low cost of living), not sure about your Sebring and where you live.