Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Stud/8 hand

Here's a Party Stud/8 hand I am not sure I played well. But, I cannot quite define what I think is wrong. Comments welcome.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.5, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

River

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds

Richard K.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Stud/8 hand

I would raise third, and call 4th, I like the check raise on 5th, and would bet 6th, and probably just call 7th.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:48 PM

3rd and 4th seem fine to me. You have 3 to a live flush, and 3 to a weak low. You can't have been happy that it got raised on 4th, but them's the breaks.

I don't like the raise on 5th. Right now you don't have a hand. even if you happen to make a low, it probably won't win that side of the pot. The way seats 5 and 3 have been playing I'd say one of them has a better high hand than you as well. On the flip side, I'd probably have bet 6th (altough checking is good too) when it gets checked around to you (had anyone bet I would just call). Your flush is still live, and now you have an open-ended straight draw. You have 8 good outs to win this thing between the straight/flush.
River...I seriously doubt your kings are good. But the pot is big so paying it off is probably right.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 AM

Note that on 7th he had King's up.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Results

Results:

Seat 3: balance $100, lost $30.5 [ Js Td Jd As 6d 2d 2c ] [ two pairs, jacks and twos -- As,Js,Jd,2d,2c ]
Hero: balance $118.12, lost $30.5 [ 3s 7s 8s 3c Ks 6h Kh ] [ two pairs, kings and threes -- Ks,Kh,8s,3s,3c ]
Seat 5: balance $160.53, bet $30.5, collected $114.5, net +$84 [ Ac Ah 8c 4s 9c 9s 8d ] [ two pairs, aces and nines -- Ac,Ah,9c,9s,8c ]
Old 04-24-2005, 12:41 PM

I didn't read them, but wait until people have had a chance to respond before posting results.

I think third street is an easy call on both passes. If the other players weren't raising, you might raise yourself, although I probably wouldn't with the Eight in the door.

Your hand has weakened significantly on fourth street. You weren't really looking to pair, obviously. The A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] which have shown are really key cards for your hand. Both seats 5 and 7 behind you are strong candidates to raise, seat 5 because he had raised on third, and seat 7 because he appears to have the best low draw. I will confess that I probably call both bets, but I think that folding when JA bets out is best.

Check-raising fifth street with a weak draw is just plain dizzy. If spades were more live and you had a decent low draw, this would be OK. You have neither.

At least you checked behind on sixth. You have a crying call on the river.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:58 PM

Yup, my fifth street stuff was what was bothering me. In the action of the game I thought I had equity -- I did not.
Thanks.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:47 PM

ooops, my bad