Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2004, 11:10 AM

Default Call Down Mode with TPTK

When is it best to go into call-down mode and when is it best to fold?

Played a hand last night where I had AQs (suits don't matter) in the SB. EP raised and I called along with 3 others. Flop came Qxxr. I bet and EP raised. I raised back and he capped. I wasn't sure whether he had flopped a set or had an overpair, or might just have been betting some kind of draw or had KQ even. I'd also been playing somewhat loose, so he could have thought I was betting middle-pair. On the turn and river I went check-call, check-call. He showed AA and took the pot.

Did I play this right? I've been willing to release TPTK in the face of a reraise when the TP is 99 or TT. But when it's QQ is this a good idea? Or should I have folded in this situation?
Old 03-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Call Down Mode with TPTK

You didn't mention what limits this was but I will assume it was 3-6 or less. I think that 3 betting the flop might have been a little too aggressive although his cap should have been an indicator that he had an overpair and you were probably drawing very thin and should have folded. I think I would have only called his flop raise and then gone into check - call mode. Of course this is also dependent on what kind of read you have on your opponent.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:26 PM

Sorry, should have mentioned this was PP 0.5/1.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't mention what limits this was but I will assume it was 3-6 or less. I think that 3 betting the flop might have been a little too aggressive although his cap should have been an indicator that he had an overpair and you were probably drawing very thin and should have folded. I think I would have only called his flop raise and then gone into check - call mode. Of course this is also dependent on what kind of read you have on your opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this advice. At the point he has raised you on the flop you can do 3 things. Fold, raise, or go to your check call. Re-Raising on the flop is cheaper than calling. Do you understand why?

Re-raising cost 1 extra SB while calling to the river costs 2BB. If he caps your re-raise on the flop and isn't a maniac fold.

Why pay 2 BBs when 1 SB gives you the same information?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:55 PM

You misunderstood me G. 3-betting the flop is a good idea if you are willing to laydown to a cap. But in this instance the player called the cap and continued to play the hand, thus not using the information he got from his 3-bet.

At low limits, especially .50/1.00 I think he would have been better off to call the flop raise and go into check-call mode because his TPTK will be good here often enough to make it profitable.

Old 03-31-2004, 03:58 PM

Let me add something for clarity.

My main point is raise or fold are the best 2 options and calling is the worst option here.

In other words if opponents 2 bet gives me a strong confidence I'm beat, if there is doubt (because of read) then raise to erase the doubt. After all your real question is, "Am I beat?" Whether it is top pair, trips, straight, or just a high card, your holding doesn't change the fundamental question. If you must have it answered do it as cheaply as possible.

Hope this made some sense.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... In other words if opponents 2 bet gives me a strong confidence I'm beat, if there is doubt (because of read) then raise to erase the doubt. After all your real question is, "Am I beat?"...

[/ QUOTE ]

On party 0.50/1.00?... I don't know how confident you can be on these tables of being beat with that kind of flop (btw... what are the xx cards? straight draw?). It really depends on how your opponent is playing. If opponent is a TPP... fold is in order (agreed), but i think if the player is a LAP, I think you are safe to check-call to river. I've seen plenty of aggression at these tables from middle or bottom pair or even a straight draw on the small cards on board.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:00 PM

you're right. That's why I opted to go into call-down rather than fold. I've been bet to the river by someone holding AK so many times on the 0.5/1 tables it's ridiculous.

I also see the point that's being made about the reraise on the flop. Cost is 1 SB instead of 2 BB it costs to draw out to the river.