Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Kings pre-flop

I have a tight image at the table - Party NL50

Villian has won a couple of big pots with well disguised hands (re-raise preflop with 98s, etc)

After 90 hands, I have him as 40/15

2 folds to me with KK

I raise to $3

3 folds

Villian reraises to $15

Hero?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Kings pre-flop

Stacks?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Sorry, I have around the buy-in (50)...villian has about 120
Old 06-25-2005, 10:06 AM

Smells like a small pair <Tens to me. I call this all day long and say NH if he has AA.

Da Fly
Old 06-25-2005, 10:41 AM

I'd re-reraise him up to about 25$ and let him know for sure that you are holding a high pocket pair. If he happens to have aces than that is tough luck but in the long run you are going to win much more money playing this hand rather than folding when someone raises way over the top of you.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:00 AM

Push. He'll think you're making a move against him, and if he's got any sort of holding (AA-99, AK, AQs), he'll probably call after putting $15 into the pot.

If maniac is sophisticated and has never raised this much before, I might stop and think. Otherwise, it's an easy push.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Just calling here didn't seem to make much sense as without an A or K on the flop I'll have no idea where I am...to find that out, I'd have to bet the pot which is the rest of my stack...just get it in now.

I push - he had AA...can live with that, just wanted to know how many others push here. Thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push. He'll think you're making a move against him, and if he's got any sort of holding (AA-99, AK, AQs), he'll probably call after putting $15 into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Hero is seen as tight, wouldn't that make villain less likely to suspect a move, and hence less likely to call with some of the more marginal of these holdings?

Whether or not Hero should push here obviously depends on whether or not he thinks AK/AQ, QQ-99 will call, but I am not sure that a raise to $15 is enough of an investment to committ him with ALL of these hands, esp. TT-99 and AQ. If Hero pushes, pot is like $65, villain has to call $35, this doesn't seem like an auto-call for villain.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Hero is seen as tight, wouldn't that make villain less likely to suspect a move, and hence less likely to call with some of the more marginal of these holdings?

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt it. Villain is clearly a maniac and knows he has that kind of table image. He likes his hand and someone insta pushing against a maniac's aggression always looks like a move. I may be wrong.

The question is are you extracting any more money after the flop with Villain's more marginal holdings if he doesn't hit an A or a set? Even maniacs aren't completely stupid and know a $15 flat call means you have a huge hand. If Villain will fire again with nothing, then just call.

The other question is, what the hell are you going to do if an A flops? Another reason to push it in now imo.