Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Default What the **** is this !!!???

I've always felt one of my weaknesess has been that I'm to reluctant to fold at times. But now, all of the sudden I see myself folding the best hand the best hand "all the time". I feel that I'm making correct folds, but am I really?

Has poker changed in the last months I've been away and gone crazy?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: (8.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, BB calls.

MP had KJo
BB had 7x, pair of sevens

Final Pot: 10.20 BB
Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: What the **** is this !!!???

Why would you fold to the turn bet?
Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 PM

I would raise that and take the free showdown. Your hand may be good (sounds like it was) and you have as many as 6 outs if you are behind.

If you get 3 bet, well... yuk. Tough hand.

Nigel
Old 05-29-2005, 01:36 PM

I'm curious as to your thinking regarding the turn. What did you see that led to the fold. I don't see that at all.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:45 PM

Yikes...that's a bad turn fold...I raise almost always, against some opponents I might just flat call...but fold, no way. Did you think he was slowplaying a pair of queens or better off the flop or something? UNless I have a very good read on a player, I won't fold this hand here
Old 05-29-2005, 02:30 PM

Raise the turn in a multiway pot to protect your hand and prepare the free showdown. Many players will bet any pair in this situation to prevent you from taking a free card with AK. You cannot fold here.

Aside from that, even if you trust this player to have you beat your gutshot gives you implied odds to call and see the river.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:54 PM

I'll be damnded. I guess I suck. I shouldn't be saying that though. It's bad for my self-esteem.
I'm less then excellent, I have a lot to lear and I'm also rusty. The more I lear the more I'll win. I have to fight. That's better!

What made me fold?

I had been agressive preflop and on the flop in a four-handed pot. It is resonable that I have something, and even if I don't someone else sure must have something callworthy.

That's what I thought a person would thing, what I thought MP would think. I figured there's no point for him to try to steal the pot, or semi-bluff it. So he must have something.

I figured an 8 was likely, but why calling the flop? If he has an 8 he must have either two pair or a flush draw to go with it. Other hands I thought were likely were Q8 or other two pair or straight. I thought he probably had a hand. Why would he bet if he hadn't, just for kicks?

And if he hadn't the pot was still 4-way. I estimated my chances of winning to be low. But judging from your reaction I was wrong.

Can you explain why you would have called in this situation in a little more detail? And what you would be thinking about your opponents in this hand? Please explain like if you were talking to a kid, I'm alittle thick-headed.

thanks guys.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:14 PM

I think they explained pretty clearly above why they would raise and not call.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:46 PM

Default The Turn

You likely have 6 outs on turn getting about 7:1. Even though you're not closing the action, I think folding is pretty bad, especially when your hand is best a certain percentage of the time. Since you'd have to call a 3bet, I'm not sure if raising is best, but I think it probably is depending on how likely you think you are to be behind.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:02 PM

Its a bad turn fold
Raise it up