Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Anybody have one of these things?

The FM device for a MP3 that allows you to play the music on your MP3 player through a FM station in your car? This is what I'm talking about if you don't know.

Linky

Does anyone know if they work well? Hows the clarity and quality coming through the car speakers?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Anybody have one of these things?

they suck.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:05 PM

I had one that I used with my Ipod and it was absolutely horrible, the sound quality was just shitty as hell. If you want to play a MP3 player in your car there's a much better way where you connect your Ipod to your headunit with some special cables or something. It probably costs a little more but I think it'd be well worth it.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:11 PM

I've good experiences with mine, make sure you get a good one, the dell one is good IIRC. be sure you're playing decent quality mp3s and running it off a car adapte, it eats battieries like a mother.

They suck in large cities with all the FM bandwith taken though.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:12 PM

i have the monster cable version, and its sucks. Now that I have an iPod, I wish my car had a tape deck (the little tape adapter thingy sounds fine) instead of my fancy cd player.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The FM device for a MP3 that allows you to play the music on your MP3 player through a FM station in your car? This is what I'm talking about if you don't know.

Linky

Does anyone know if they work well? Hows the clarity and quality coming through the car speakers?

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I have is called an iRock, but operates on the exact same frequencies as the Belkin one you are looking at. I didn't like it, and it is sitting in my closet. The main problem is that there are radio stations here in NY near those frequencies that get through and interfere. It used to work better if I unscrewed the antenna from my car, which I can't even do with my current car.

Anyway, send me $10 to cover shipping and you can have mine:

http://www.myirock.com/players/irock300w.asp
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 PM

I tried one of these for my MP3 player a while back. The instructions claim that it works as long as the unit is no more than ten feet from the head unit. Hah! More like no more than ten inches away, and even then it works pretty crappy. Another problem is that you get much more static if you turn up the volume on the car stereo, which is what the instructions suggest. Instead you have to crank up your MP3 volume, making it use more battery life.

Swede
Old 05-14-2005, 02:23 PM

So is the cassette adapter the way to go? My car has both CD and cassette, so this is possible.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-14-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Linky

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I have is called an iRock, but operates on the exact same frequencies as the Belkin one you are looking at. I didn't like it, and it is sitting in my closet. The main problem is that there are radio stations here in NY near those frequencies that get through and interfere. It used to work better if I unscrewed the antenna from my car, which I can't even do with my current car.

Anyway, send me $10 to cover shipping and you can have mine:

http://www.myirock.com/players/irock300w.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

I might take you up on that just to try it out. Do you have an Empire or UB account?