Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2004, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Was hansen\'s call wrong?

[ QUOTE ]

He might have AA or KK but id say its far less likely than his other possible holding, and to consider as equally likely in your calculations would be a lazy decision.
I honestly think that folding TT is really really bad in that spot...and not even a close call. I think if you want to fold, you should think about adjusting how you play near the end of tournaments, but what do I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally have to agree with this and as I said above, I think it was a great call. However, the one thing to keep in mind is the fact that if Gus loses this hand, he is out. I believe the prize money for this tourney doubled from second to third, so that is a serious consideration at this point.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe the prize money for this tourney doubled from second to third, so that is a serious consideration at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much more of a concern for you or me than it would be for Gus I would imagine.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the prize money for this tourney doubled from second to third, so that is a serious consideration at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much more of a concern for you or me than it would be for Gus I would imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is more of a concern, but I don't think it is "much" more. During the broadcast, Gus was talking about Paul and he said that since Paul cared less about the money than he did, Paul might make some different plays. This shows me that the money at least meant something to him, and makes me believe that the $250K difference between 2nd and 3rd would have had at least some weight in his decision on whether or not to call.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:17 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

No way, money is his number 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,....concern.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No way, money is his number 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,....concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested to know what Gus has to say about this hand when you get a chance to talk to him. I'm sure money is a concern, but I guess what I'm wondering is this: Was he at this point more concerned about competing for second or third? B/C if his concern was for second, then I would say a fold might be called for, particularly given his outstanding abilities at play on the flop and beyond. However, if he is solely thinking about first, then I could see how a call was in order.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, he's definitely that good.

When I see my friend Gus in a few weeks during the eastern holydays, I'll be glad to tell him that you consider him one of the best [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I'll ask him what he thought in this specific spot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I believe you when you say you know the guy and I'd certainly be interested in hearing what he has to say about it. Thanks.