Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 02:11 PM

Default 2nd hand in a live $50 MTT

Im on the button 2nd hand with AA and a $2000 stack. The blinds are 10/20 and there are 4 limpers to me. I raise to T100 (I think this was my main mistake here, should have raised to 250) and there are 4 callers

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Check to me, I bet 400 into a pot of 500 and get 1 caller (who is unknown)

Turn T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villian checks saying "Your turn son" and smiling (Note Im 22 and look like a kid and hes like 123123 years old)
I think for a while, and decide that he must have 9T of spades, thats the only hand he could confidently call on the flop. (Im excluding sets here since I dont think he would have talked at me with a set on the turn)
So I push my remaining T1500 into a pot of T1300 or so

How did I play this hand wrong and what could I have done to get away from it. What do you guys put him on and can you check behind on the turn here?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: 2nd hand in a live $50 MTT

I usually raise X3+1X for every limper. I would raise it up to 140 or so, but 250 is a bit of an overbet. You do want action with aces, but not a 5 way pot.

I hardly think you can narrow your opponent range to one hand. No one can. Excluding sets because he talked to you is silly as well, since you don't know the man.

Anyhow, I can't possibly put him on a range that you're behind on the turn, so I don't see anything wrong with your push.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:38 PM

Well there was more then just him talking at me, there is the obvious who would check a set here twice on a draw heavy board, and the fact that he had limped called a raised on both of the hands so far.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Preflop raise to t150.
Push the flop when checked to you.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push the flop when checked to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? How does this get any value from hands he's ahead of? It's good to protect your hand, but a push is too much IMO.

A larger PF raise would have been good and I think you have to bet close to, or at, the size of the pot on the flop. On this board, against 5 opponents, you have to be willing to give up on 1 pair if you get much action. Call it weak, but I would probably check behind on the turn and fold to a river bet.

Edit: I'm actually not sure about folding to a river bet, but I still think I like a check behind on the turn.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well there was more then just him talking at me, there is the obvious who would check a set here twice on a draw heavy board, and the fact that he had limped called a raised on both of the hands so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible that he was going for a check-raise on the flop, but since it got checked to the initial raiser, he thought he could make his move on the turn.

I'm not a huge fan of checking a draw-heavy board with a set, but if I can get heads up against an opponent who will 1) bet and 2) I don't think is on a draw, then I will check it.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:30 PM

Just for an update on this, he had almost what I thought JTs and hit a 6s on the river.