Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Now I know what its like to play against me

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a thinking and aggressive player, if he bet the flop I think he raises assuming you wouldn't play a good hand that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't this be a reason to bet the flop (i.e. he's assuming you are weak and wouldn't bet top pair that way) so that you can push if he chrasies you?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Esp against you (were you being you?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing a little calm for me (which means opening 1.5 times an orbit or so mostly from LP). Still one of the most aggresive people at the table. It was the first time I had raised his blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
are we in the money?

[/ QUOTE ]

just. money started at 30.

[ QUOTE ]
Another line could be to check behind and raise the turn bet that's coming if it's not an AJQ

[/ QUOTE ]

We also have clubs to worry about.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably like the flop line better assuming you are not going to lay down to a checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, having to get your chips in when faced w/ a c/r is why i wait till the turn to evaluate.

Raising the turn is obviously a more than reasonable line as well. I think I'm impartial to either. I would just be trying to play this like I had a bigger hand than I do.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably throw out a 2/3 - 3/4 size pot bet, and fold to a c/r. You have enough money to make this move, and you'll be left with enough if you get forced off the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

An integral part of the plan is the why. There's no why in your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, my bad. Clearly you have to be afraid of the check/raise from the aggressive BB, but he has to believe if you're throwing out 2/3 of the pot after a pre-flop raise, there is a good chance you have the K (or that the K doesn't scare you). A check/raise bluff is only good if you can feel comfortable your opponent is weak, which would be hard for him to do with that K out there. So my thinking would be he would need a legitimate hand to raise you with, in which case I would gladly lay down 10-10.

If, on the other hand, he just calls - well then the hand becomes a little trickier to finish out. *Edit* I should point out that I think this is one of the weaker points of my game. I often find myself checking behind on the turn, and then folding to the inevitable pot-size river bet in this situation.

[ QUOTE ]
the only thing that sucks about calling a turn bet is that on ub, its almost always just a betpot. and you hate to have to just call that on both the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time he had bet the turn, he had pushed the river, and I expected this hand to be no different, if he bet the turn and I called. Stupid bet pot button.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM

Well,
If this guy is truely "very aggressive" and we've seen him make 2 non-aggressive plays wouldn't it make sense to put him in monster/crap land. And hense try to play a small pot.

I could see myself trying to take down the pot now with a standard 1/2-3/4 pot bet. And then hopefully checking behind on the turn. Worst case scenario is getting called and bet into on a crappy turn (in this case I probably fold)

OR

I could see myself checking behind here and calling/betting any decent turn (no JQA or c) and checking/folding any crappy turn.

I pick the top line because I've seen the guy complete a smallish opening bet and check to me (hense I think he may fold)

I'm guessing you get cr-ed by something like A4c.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM

This is why I bet the flop and push any smallish raise. The only thing that would suck is if he flat calls and a blank comes because now you don't know if he is slowplaying a king or a flush draw. If a scare card comes at least it is easier to fold in this spot.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:02 PM

I think your are interpreting more betting room than exists. If he's going to raise the flop I would expect it generally to be all-in. I have a hard time believing he would make a small cr with the plan of folding to a push.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I bet the flop and push any smallish raise. The only thing that would suck is if he flat calls and a blank comes because now you don't know if he is slowplaying a king or a flush draw. If a scare card comes at least it is easier to fold in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably wouldnt slowplay a K given the flush draw.