Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Default More Hand Reading Fun

Party 750k guarenteed. I have 7600 with the blinds at 75/150. Second table chip leader raises to 300 from MP with about 4500 behind. This player is very predictable post flop. I know this doesnt have to mean AA/KK. I call in LP and the BB tags along with 1338. Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks, raiser checks, and I bet 550 into the 975 pot. BB pushes all-in and original raiser folds. So I guess the question is, what is my range here (although this might be a tough question to answer given the parameters), what is BBs range, and what hands should I be calling with?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Re: More Hand Reading Fun

How much is BB pushing for?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I call in LP and the BB tags along with 1338.

[/ QUOTE ]

1338, so 1338-550=778 for me to call.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:24 PM

Your range could be huhge here.. could be trying to pick up the pot w/ garbage cause it's got decent texture.

So i'll say your range is 44+, ATsuited+, AJo+, KQs, QJs, JTs, 9Ts. (s being suited, not spades)

BB doesnt have enough that he could scare you off so not a complete bluff... i'd put him on either KQs (this time the s is spades), AQs, ATs, TT, 99, AJ, KJ, QJ.

You should call with...any spade draw, any jack. Maybe AQo w/ a spade (cause its not a big raise.. 500 to win lots)

first time trying this, sorry if it sucks.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:43 PM

Pre-flop range is enormous, and I think you could be calling to steal with pretty much anything resembling a hand, so I'll focus on the BB's pushing range.

A jack- most likely pair
An 8- 2nd most likely pair
A 3- least likely pair

PPs 77 and below and a set 88 or 33.

Flush Draw, 10-9, and a very rare bluff, since he should realize that he has virtually no folding equity.

The pot is 900+75+550+1338= 2863 and you to call 778 giving you 3.67:1 odds to call.

I think you should call with any pair, A-high, flush draw, 10-9, q-9, 9-7.
Flush draw straight draw
Old 09-11-2005, 10:56 PM

Your hand most likely spade draw, J9-AJ, pair (lots of hands I know but in position, everyone's range is bigger). I guess a flush draw is the least likely out of all them since you could take a free card, although I know you are an aggressive player, so I wouldn't rule it out. If the BB is a decent player, he has to know you are priced in, so unless you are bluffing he's gotta have something. It's hard to give a range to someone I've never seen play.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Your hand range is near impossible from the action and stack sizes.

I would say the BB has a J, an 8, a spade draw or a straight draw. If he had a good pair (77 or higher) I would expect him to raise/ push preflop.

Great price though, so I would call here with any pair and any flush draw or two overcards.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 AM

You are getting 3-1 to call.
I put the BB on AJ, two pair, set, flush draw/ str8 draw.
Not to mention a pure Stop-N-Go, that realy should not be attemped in this case.
With getting 3-1, you need to call w/ anything that has some shot. Any pair, any draw, and any thing higher than a J in case of a weak draw missed on his part.

This one I believe is too EZ.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:08 AM

My thoughts.......

BB check-raises you for 788 more into a pot already containing 1525, knkowing that you HAVE to call most hands here, getting ~3-1.

Not knowing anything specific about BB, I would eliminate FD/SD type of hands, as it would be better for them to lead into this pot than CR all-in with that type of holding given their stack size, but you never can tell if these players actually think about this type of thing or not.

I could see him doing this with a huge draw with, maybe Ts9s, but no sane player is going to push in this situation giving 3-1 with that small of a stack.

Therefore, I have to think that BB has a made hand most often. I would prety much put him on TP or better, thinking that JJ would push PF. In this case, I look at AJ, KJs, J8s, 88, 33, T9s.

I think you can call here with TP, FDs, and OESDs, but are mucking most other hands.

And your range could be just about any 2 here. I don't think you have to have a hand here to bet a raised pot that everyone has checked to you and you are last to act.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:18 AM

i don't really understand the people who say that mike's hand is so impossible to gauge at this point. personally i would put it more likely that he has something, as he bet behind someone who's default action in this spot if they hit the board is going to be to checkraise all in.

a) the guy is short
b) the guy knows mike bets often, but probably isn't wise enough to realize that mike knows that he knows, because few are.

so what do we know about mike's hand?

a) mike continuation bet knowing that it was decently likely he was going to get checkraised

b) mike knew that he was basically going to be pot committed to calling that checkraise

c) mike's not stupid

so, i like, in spots like this, to be way more likely to put him on a hand.

i guess this has to be taken with a grain of salt though, as i've seen more than a small number of hands where he's known the bb well enough to just continuation bet here with junk and expect to take it down on the flop.

citanul