Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 07:36 PM

Default K9s trying to break a losing streak...

I've had K9s 18 times and have never won with it before this hand. And this hand turned out to be interesting.

MP1 is a slightly loose passive passive player (24/0.9). I don't remember him doing anything out of line, but it has been a little while since I last saw him.

SB hasn't been around long enough to get a real good read on him.

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero...

I don't know what to make of this, the plan was to raise a blank turn. The turn blanked, but MP1 woke up and messed everything up.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: K9s trying to break a losing streak...

Anyone else raise the flop here?

Turn is a fold for me though...
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 PM

Yeah the pot is small so I probably raise the flop.

Fold for 2 cold on the turn.

Brad
Old 01-20-2005, 07:45 PM

i'd be inclined to raise the flop...i don't know if i like the "call, raise a turn blank..." since any high card may give someone a higher pair and any low card may complete a straight draw or pair the board...so what card do you want to see there except a K, 9, or a 2? (and obviously any clubs are bad too)

i'd fold the turn...
Old 01-20-2005, 07:45 PM

I agree with the raise on the flop. This isn't strong enough to be slow playing. The raise on the turn suggests you are in trouble. You need a good read on the player to call this - in other words, putting him on a probable bluff. I take it you called and won with this hand, but more often than not you'll be beaten when making this call, unless your opponent is known for bluffing by raising the turn here with less than you have.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Waiting until the turn...

I think raising the flop is problematic. There are 4 players in the pot, none of them are likely to fold, and my hand is extremely vulnerable to both overcards and the flush draw. My hope was that I'll be able to get my raise in when I have a better equity edge.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Waiting until the turn...

Aaron,

As long as you folded the turn, you played this hand fine. I'd raise the flop more often than not because your hand's edge is quite decent here 4-handed, but I don't think waiting for the turn is bad. You're waiting for a safe card, though, and while this certainly appeared to be one, the action tells you it isn't. So yeah, you fold.

Rob
Old 01-20-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you folded the turn, you played this hand fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad truth is that I didn't. I 3-bet, and after I 3-bet I realized how bad it was. SB folded, and MP1 just called.

The river was a T of hearts, and I got the opportunity to check behind (I had already resigned myself to folding if bet into). I would be very surprised if you could figure out what he had. Obviously, I lost the hand, and felt bad for the 3BB I threw away.

After looking at some numbers, I see that the equity edge is a little bit bigger than I thought (30% in a disaster scenario -- against a flush draw, all overcards, and a pair; 45-50% in more realistic cases). So both plays are good.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:57 PM

Raise the frop.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:03 PM

hi aaron,

the beauty about acting last is being able to see what develops in front of you. personally i would raise the flop, but waiting til the turn isn't a bad alternative as long as you have a plan in case things go awry; a scary looking card or scary looking action. the turn card certainly looks safe, but doesn't feel safe as dictated by the action, hence you use your position and your judgement to fold.

chris