Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: AQ faces a stop-and-go

I didn't even see that part of the post (villian playing so many hands). Your play makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:59 PM

with that flop, i'd raise for value.
he wants to play again on the turn...hmmm...i'd call the turn and pop the river and call a 3 bet.. no wait I'd pop the turn and fold to a re-raise... I think you can play either way.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain in this hand is 54/0/0.6 over 40 hands or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

This says he plays a lot of hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 PM

Raise the river, he may be running a bluff on the ace and any aggression from you on the turn might make him slow down.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:15 PM

Yeah I just noticed that, and it pretty much negates my whole argument. Oh well... I should read more carefully next time.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:24 PM

raise the turn. if he 3-bets then fold. but he is 54% VPIP so he is never folding to a turn raise and will always call a river bet if he has a pair.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:42 PM

Hi, virgin post here.

I think you should raise the turn here and call down if reraised.

I don't think he could have a seven. If he called your flop raise because he was scared of trips with a better kicker, he couldn't have made 7s full of aces on the turn. The ace certainly didn't improve his kicker any either, so the bet doesn't make any sense if he had trips and was playing them in a straight forward manner.

So then, if he has trip 7s, he must think they're good. Not reraising you on the flop is an effort to give you a card to catch up. If that's his intent the ace is the most likely card to improve your hand and anybody capable of calling a raise on the flop with the hope of milking an extra bet on the turn is going to go ahead and do it, right?

The only possibilities are that he's all out bluffing (no risk for you there) or the ace helps him. Since we know he doesn't have a7, and I think it's pretty safe to assume aa is right out since he didn't make it three bets preflop, ak is the only hand that beats you (another unlikely holding, but certainly possible for a passive player not to 3 bet).

I know this doesn't fit with the player's high VPI, but we do know he's probably not some mad genius of poker, and this is the only logical explination I can come up with.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the turn. if he 3-bets then fold. but he is 54% VPIP so he is never folding to a turn raise and will always call a river bet if he has a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing, having a 54% vpip has nothing to do with a player calling down to the river. There are players that are loose who will call preflop with anything but play relatively decent postflop. If he has an unusually high went to showdown %, then I agree with you that a turn raise isn't bad. Given an unknown, I don't want to take the chance of him folding a smaller pp or a worse hand or a pure bluff for that matter. I think the best line is to raise the river and probably fold to a 3-bet.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the thing, having a 54% vpip has nothing to do with a player calling down to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't be serious.